luka

I'd imagined my arrival into Avebury would be magical, the stone circle humming with occult energy in recognition of my crazed pilgrimage but I was so wet so tired so cold I just wanted to get out as soon as possible cab to Swindon train to Euston home.

catalog

I also love walking around the city late at night. Some guy from Manchester has written a book about it for zero, but its not very memorable

luka

As a teenager I used to walk all the time through London all day walking in a light trance in a magical trance state sad floating world.
In my twenties I roamed the canals and the bow backs and the river Lea. I had them all to myself in those days. Sit out there smoke weed 2am with the bats flying over the water

catalog

I'd imagined my arrival into Avebury would be magical, the stone circle humming with occult energy in recognition of my crazed pilgrimage but I was so wet so tired so cold I just wanted to get out as soon as possible cab to Swindon train to Euston home.

Got a friend who has walked lands end to John o groats (he is mad) and he always just wants to get it done as straightforwardly as possible, without any fuss. I prefer dawdling a lot. As you can imagine, it can get a bit difficult when we're walking together, but we've luckily got a third guy who helps keep the peace

luka

I'll still walk 10 miles, 15 miles. I like it. I like that it feels lonely. I guess that's why the doomer cartoon man does it.

catalog

I did quite a few 'beating the bounds' type walks when I was a teenager, my house in Huddersfield to Bradford along the A road, or to Leeds along the M62. Also recently walked Leeds to Manchester keeping as close to the M62 as possible

catalog

Yeah a 10 miler or so roundabout where you live on a mix of terrains is great. Did some cycling this summer as well, discovered a motorway bridge I've never seen before

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
When I was taking loads of DMT everyday I got the idea in my head that I should walk the Ridgeway, a prehistoric path that runs about 100 miles along the chalk ridges of a few adjacent counties, starting in Hertfordshire and ending at Avebury in Wiltshire and that I shouldn't take a tent but should sleep under hedges.

I wouldn't say it was enjoyable exactly.

were you never afraid of insects? i worked in the homeless shelter for a winter and one of the guests told me he'd always numb himself out with alcohol before going to sleep so he would not feel the insects that would crawl over his body when he would sleep outside. centipedes, earwigs, worms, all the nasty ones. something i had never thought about.

luka

You can get into strange states of consciousness. Walk yourself into them. Watching other people. Peoole in restaurants, in the warmth and the light, couples, get that taxi driver buzz, feral outcast on the margins, shut out of society. Not allowed.

luka

I wasn't scared of insects no. DMT had probably made me mad I wasn't scared of anything although I was aware of how ridiculous an expedition it was

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Love the accounts of Luka walking the Ridgeway

There's an outside chance you crossed paths with me or my parents. A very outside chance but I like to imagine it happened.

luka

I did quite a few 'beating the bounds' type walks when I was a teenager, my house in Huddersfield to Bradford along the A road, or to Leeds along the M62. Also recently walked Leeds to Manchester keeping as close to the M62 as possible

There's something to be said here about 'revealing the map' in a more literal sense and the strange way discovering new places in the area you live feels like you are unlocking hitherto hidden parts of your own mind. As if there is a one to one correlation.

catalog

I've always liked walking the routes I would normally travel by car and noticing all the differences. walking along busy A roads that you'd normally zip past in five mins and it takes two hours.

luka

When you first stumble on a place you know at once will have special significance for you in the future. You've unveiled it. Something quite profound about that feeling, charged

Leo

it's the only excercise I get! I love walking, often put in 5-6 miles on a Saturday or Sunday. don't own car, so part necessity but nice to skip mass transit if you have the time. I get the part about wanting to experience the outdoors, feel safe, etc. but I too pretty much always listen to music on earphones when walking alone. I don't play a ton of music at home, so walking is really the time when I do get to focus on music. can also put the volume higher than I ever could in our apartment. I'm sure my ears are the worse for where.

I find I know the city much better than my friends by constantly walking it, I'm always telling them about places that have opened or closed, different neighborhoods, etc. I find lots of great photo ops just walking the streets.

I love to daydream, so walking and listening to music is the perfect formula.

luka

The biggest walker here is Woops but he is a head down walker, a hell hounds on his tail walker, he walks cos the demons are after him. He says he doesn't notice his surroundings, it's a compulsion, a necessity.

luka

Landscape as a series of stagesets, that slight sense of derealisation that can make catalogs motorway bridges for example so magnetic, so atmospheric, so ripe with a teasing ambiguity

sadmanbarty

my late-teens were largely consumed by just walking around at night for hours on end. it's absolute magic. it's often pure magic; the world becomes a projection of your mind when there's nobody else around, it becomes an extension of you. i don't know why i still don't do it.

i dress like somebody trying to dress like a real person which invariably makes me look like and undercover policeman so i really was free to just go anywhere. all these dodgy places feeling completely safe.