Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Writers you hate

This thread is the second time I've seen someone here slag off Murakami for his style. Now I've read three of four of his books and quite enjoyed them - I guess I have a higher tolerance for magical realism than some people - so I'm not unbiased in asking this question. But is it really fair to judge a book on the style of its prose when it's been translated, especially between languages as totally dissimilar as English and Japanese? Surely some part of what you like or don't like about a book like that is due to the translator?
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Murakami has a pretty good grasp of English. He's translated a bunch of stuff from English to Japanese and is apparently very hands on when it comes to the translation of his own stuff.

Murakami has also translated many works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Raymond Carver, Truman Capote, John Irving, and Paul Theroux, among others, into Japanese.

Murakami took an active role in translation of his work into English, encouraging "adaptations" of his texts to American reality rather than direct translation. Some of his works that appeared in German turned out to be translations from English rather than Japanese (South of the Border, West of the Sun, 2000; The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, 2000s), encouraged by Murakami himself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Martin Amis. Absolute shitehawk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

alot of usual suspects on these kinda lists surprised nobody has brought up Easton Ellis,Miller or Hemingway yet

DFW is funny to me becuase he ended being grouped in with the kind of writers that he critiqued the kind that people stereotype as being popular with white guys and all that

I cant say ive run into any i hate but EL Doctorow and Jane Austen dont do anything for me i respect them more than i like them

ive thought about reading that Houllebecq guy but he comes across as the kind of hyperbolistic "nothing matters or means anything anymore kind of french writer" him getting cussed out by his mother was funny

I really like Houllebecq... though I didn't like his last one much to be honest. I keep meaning to see the film he's in when he gets kidnapped.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 10-12-2019 at 01:03 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I really like Houllebecq... though I didn't like his last one much to be honest. I keep meaning to see the film he's in when he gets kidnapped.
    It's good that film. He looks so diseased. I recently read 'the possibility of an island' and quite enjoyed it, bits of it were hilarious, the story wore a bit thin by the end. 7/10. Might check out some of the more popular ones. His Lovecraft book is meant to be excellent. Has been nicked from the library

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Murakami has a pretty good grasp of English. He's translated a bunch of stuff from English to Japanese and is apparently very hands on when it comes to the translation of his own stuff.
    Fair enough, didn't know that.
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    His Lovecraft book is meant to be excellent.
    It is. Pretty short but pithy and insightful. His discussion of the relationship between HPL's cosmicism and his racism is worthwhile, and he also makes short work of those critics who think the monsters are all derived from a horror of women/sex (basically he has no time whatsoever for the Freudian approach).

The title alone is wonderfully evocative - Contre le monde, contre la vie.
    i hate sigs

SHAKESPEARE

PSYCH!

TEEHEE
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    SHAKESPEARE

PSYCH!

TEEHEE
    For the love of god, someone please arrange a sympathy shag for Corpsey before he goes on a killing spree.
    i hate sigs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

It's good that film. He looks so diseased. I recently read 'the possibility of an island' and quite enjoyed it, bits of it were hilarious, the story wore a bit thin by the end. 7/10. Might check out some of the more popular ones. His Lovecraft book is meant to be excellent. Has been nicked from the library
    Yeah, Possibility of an Island is ok but a weaker version of Atomised I think, Lovecraft book also worthy. There is a film of Possibility... which is not really that good sadly.

cheers, will try those other two out when i get a chance

Shagspeare
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: