Benny Bunter

Not the main reason I dislike him but must admit the noncery sealed it for me. That and all the stupid naked dancing he liked to do.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not the main reason I dislike him but must admit the noncery sealed it for me. That and all the stupid naked dancing he liked to do.
There's a bit in Michael Pollan's book about psychedelics where one of the early exponents of psychs - can't remember if it was Leary or whoever - gave Ginsberg some mushrooms for the first time, and he responded by having this great 'revelation', taking all his clothes off, and was about to run out into the street to spread the word and start the revolution before his friends talked him out of it.

I mean, OK, these substances were brand new in Western society back in those days, so people who hadn't done them before had even less of an idea of what to expect than someone in the same situation today - but all the same, what a fucking doofus.

Benny Bunter

There's a website with transcriptions of loads of his lectures and poetry workshops that I've looked at, and he just seems a bit of a fraud to me, rambling on in an embarrassing stoner fashion.

luka

I don't hate it but I've been wondering if actually Moby Dick isn't very well written
its odd i dont think its either well written or badly written it does feel like an impersonation of european literature, and its gauche. but it has a character all of it's own. it's american. and it's written by a man that lived a fairly mental life. and it's tremendously odd. somestimes he does a chapter like a shakespeare play. very, very strange. i would go as far as to say savage.

luka

its odd i dont think its either well written or badly written it does feel like an impersonation of european literature, and its gauche. but it has a character all of it's own. it's american. and it's written by a man that lived a fairly mental life. and it's tremendously odd. somestimes he does a chapter like a shakespeare play. very, very strange. i would go as far as to say savage.
it has energy, it has life, the characters are indelible. but its untutored. it's the work of a hick. a sort of savant.

luka

Iain Sinclair said a day with Ginsberg gave him enough to think about for a decade so i'd imagine he had a lot going on. theres an energy in the line and a kind of energising violence. it hasn't aged terribly well again, gauche, as americans tend to be and inelegant. even as a teenager it looked pathetic to me but i can grasp the appeal

luka

he uses lots of what i call gargoyle words. a feature of much of american writing, reaching parodic proportions in lovecraft.