luka

The GQ successful adult wardrobe or vintage items like tweed jackets or a homburg

luka

what do you guys think of george orwell? i don't think i hate him but he's greatly overrated i think.

He loved Burmese boys. He thought they were beautiful. It reminds me of that Vietnam documentary you were talking about. The sheer pink porcine oversized ugliness of white people

sadmanbarty

It's notable that gravitas is now unattainable by western man no matter what fancy dress or props you adopt.

the best we can do is slick; trudeau or macron.

other than that it's just tongue in cheek; boris, trump, mogg, et al.

the brexit party is in a sense about to regain this gravitas. farage's stop start speech patterns, ann widicombe comparing the eu to slavery, etc. the whole ww2 language around brexit is a generation of blokes wishing they had a struggle and something to fight for like their dads did. farage taking up a rifle.

craner

Beast of Burden
Orwell's essays and book reviews tend to be the best things. The Mein Kampf review is a good one as version says, and there's another great one about Gandhi. Homage to Catalonia stands up well.

craner

Beast of Burden
I saw him get off a bike in Clapham once and he was just wearing a typically crap all-black Nick Cave-goes-down-the-gym garb. No tweed or hats.

luka

Yes, the slick operator. Successful man. Expensive suit. Expensive haircut. Expensive watch. The veneer. Steady deliberate eye contact. Firm handshake. Good teeth. At ease in the social world, not over eager to demonstrate dominance, that's implicit.

version

I sometimes feel sorry for Will Self, but something about him just makes for a brilliant target. The comments under basically anything he does are full of people savouring every slip, every misstep.

"Yes you're right. He devotes several sentences to describing the famous shot and completely gets it wrong, as you can see from the clip included with the article. And he gushes about how his work is inter-related with cinema, as opposed to those over-literary novelists, who people respect and stuff. I don't think I've ever seen such a self-congratulatory self-serving piece written by a novelist. And, he makes a complete fool of himself in the process. Hilarious."

Last edited:

luka

It's the Katniss Everdeen of dissensus. The che Guevara. The guerrilla in the hills. The Leader of the Resistance.