entertainment

I loved blood meridian and a few others by him but couldn't get into suttree at all, it put me off him
What didn't you like about Suttree?

I really like it apart from constantly having to look up all these old objects and names of river plants.

entertainment

Thomas Bernhard annoys me. Thomas Mann as well. To my great dismay I'm increasingly finding my taste aligning with the American canon.

Benny Bunter

What didn't you like about Suttree?

I really like it apart from constantly having to look up all these old objects and names of river plants.
I think cos I started with BM then his later ones that are a lot more sparse and stripped down in style, then went back to suttree and found it far too dense.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hate Allen Ginsberg and Kerouac
I've not tried Ginsberg but I started reading On The Road once and was distinctly whelmed by it. I've probably said so here before. And while we're at it, the Ballard I've read did nothing for me at all, but maybe The Atrocity Exhibition is a bad one to start off with for him, I dunno.

Benny Bunter

I think everyone in dissesnsus hates on the road, it's come up before several times. All the beats are really dated (Burroughs doesn't count obviously)

Benny Bunter

First time I tried reading Walt Whitman I thought I hated him, but then one day I read Song of Myself in the right mood and was absolutely blown away.

Benny Bunter

. I've probably said so here before. And while we're at it, the Ballard I've read did nothing for me at all, but maybe The Atrocity Exhibition is a bad one to start off with for him, I dunno.
Atrocity exhibition was the only one I didn't like out of the Ballards I've read, not very representative, I don't think. I bet you'd like Drowned World.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Catcher In The Rye is another Big Book I've never bothered with. I strongly get the impression you're meant to read it when you're about 15, or not at all.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Every sentence is incredibly confusing. The metaphors never seem to pay off even though the structure is right. The vibe I get is of a herculean effort which ultimately fails to be great literature
I'd hazard that not even a third of the sentences are confusing, since I've read about a third of the book and I don't recall being confused by it on a sentence by sentence basis. And, as Luka never tires of reminding us, I'm thick.

I read On the Road as a teenager which I think is essential to enjoying it.

I also read Catcher In The Rye as a teenager but I suspect that book might still be great even when you're a bitter old husk.

I wonder if Catch 22 would still strike me as good now I'm a bitter old. I was 19 when I read it and thought it was hilarious, genius

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love all the other romantics, but think I hate Byron, need to read a bit more of him to be sure though.
Read a big chunk of Don Juan for university and enjoyed it a lot.

Where did I read about Byron recently? I can't remember. The writer was saying he was this gigantic phenomenon at the time, a cultural type, but that he was mostly famed for his worst poetry. (Borges, I think it might have been.)

And recently was listening to a podcast, talking about Keats who was a very short man (so was another, De Quincey?) and patronised by the tall poshos Byron and Wordsworth. Shelley too maybe? The posh beanpoles with their classical educations and polar bear skin dressing gowns. That was the general tenor.

Benny Bunter

I don't mind something feeling trapped in its own time as long as it's good. The problem I had with On the Road was that it just didn't interest me. I read it as a teen expecting this Hunter Thompson-esque whirlwind of drugs, jazz and cars and what I got felt pretty pedestrian.
Really unlikable characters too.

Plus you read about Kerouac's innovative spontaneous style and that, but the result just doesn't live up to it. It must be good on some level because so many people were inspired by it, but it was beyond the time barrier for me.

Benny Bunter

Read a big chunk of Don Juan for university and enjoyed it a lot.

Where did I read about Byron recently? I can't remember. The writer was saying he was this gigantic phenomenon at the time, a cultural type, but that he was mostly famed for his worst poetry. (Borges, I think it might have been.)

And recently was listening to a podcast, talking about Keats who was a very short man (so was another, De Quincey?) and patronised by the tall poshos Byron and Wordsworth. Shelley too maybe? The posh beanpoles with their classical educations and polar bear skin dressing gowns. That was the general tenor.
Yeah he was like the first rock star poet wasn't he.

Haven't read much by him, but that thing he did (maybe in Don Juan?) slagging off Wordsworth just seemed really smug and mean spirited to me.

Willing to give him a proper go at some point though

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder if Catch 22 would still strike me as good now I'm a bitter old. I was 19 when I read it and thought it was hilarious, genius
I read it again a few years ago, prompted by the new TV adaptation that was on at the time, and it's still great, I reckon.