Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New weird britain

Default New weird britain

Is this bullshit? Or is there something there? Outsidery stuff, not in London. John Duran trying to be David Keenan, Yadda Yadda. Rubbish music, gross performances. Supernormal. What's it about?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

local scenes used to be quite shit on the whole - a bunch of people in rock bands trying to “make it”. They would then gravitate to London.

Now that people can’t make it or move to London there is space to bed in and do weird stuff. Paul STN and I went to a great mini festival in Yeovil which was a showcase for West Country strangeness and there was a proper sense of community.

There seem to be similar things happening in the North West etc.

It is all hype and people will remember the big Wire stories about Cambridge (including our own Pete Um) and the West Country (with our own Hacker Farm and IX Tab). I don’t think that sort of exposure ends up making any difference in the long term, but that is good from my perspective. These people are going to keep doing weird stuff because they can’t do anything else.
    Last edited by john eden; 08-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Saw ukaea a couple times in Manchester. Sort of student theatre vibe, but then the odd proper bit, like when he got a massive piece of wood and knocked the shot out of a Papier mache head hanging from the ceiling. That was good

6. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Fake religion and rituals. Over the top transcendental vibes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Itís all much much healthier than people being dubstep DJs and producers.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    local scenes used to be quite shit on the whole - a bunch of people in rock bands trying to ďmake itĒ. They would then gravitate to London.

Now that people canít make it or move to London there is space to bed in and do weird stuff. Paul STN and I went to a great mini festival in Yeovil which was a showcase for West Country strangeness and there was a proper sense of community.

There seem to be similar things happening in the North West etc.

It is all hype and people will remember the big Wire stories about Cambridge (including our own Pete Um) and the West Country (with our own Hacker Farm and IX Tab). I donít think that sort of exposure ends up making any difference in the long term, but that is good from my perspective. These people are going to keep doing weird stuff because they canít do anything else.
    Yeah you are probably right I think. I dunno if some of them are playing up to the camera a bit, but yeah, the real ones will keep going. I think he's tried to lump ceramic jobs into it all. Sort of clutching at straws really. Like you say, certain ones doing it cos that's what they do. Others just along for the ride who will fall away.

People can't gravitate to London now cos it's too expensive

Itís all much much healthier than people being dubstep DJs and producers.
    I do like that element. Like, they've got a table of soundboards and macbooks like everyone else, and can produce a generic techno beat, but the memorable bits are not really about the music. Their actual music is pretty ropey

12. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

Yeah I was going to mention Ceramic Hobs and that lot. Adolf Steg, Smell and Quim, no audience underground.

One thing thatís good is that itís not just all young people.

So the model is more around ďI can do weird stuff because I enjoy it and get better and weirder like these guys haveĒ rather than either making it OR moving to a semi in Guildford and going up to London once a year to see Michael McIntyre.

The next thing we need is for them all to get off Twitter

I wanna get those Simon Morris amphetamine sulphate zines

He seems proper. I found his blog but then lost it again. Not the bang the bore one, the photo one

Heís a great writer. You can get some of the amphetamine sulphate bits from Cargo in the uk.

Creepy and funny and compassionate by turns.

The Oz Oz Alice seems to have gone invite only recently but still seems to work in my rss reader.

Heís a great writer. You can get some of the amphetamine sulphate bits from Cargo in the uk.

Creepy and funny and compassionate by turns.
    Yeah, have ordered new juche from there already. Will get one of the Morris books soon