What is the best Christmas song?

sadmanbarty

When I was little it was this. Back when Christmas was a very visceral tangible thing. Trotting drums like crunching rapping paper. Excitement and energy. It's Christmas from a child's perspective. A tree towering over you.

sadmanbarty

As an adult, it has become this. There's a sense of being removed from it; the synth like rippling memories. It's empty. Dreamlike. Christmas not as something you can feel and touch, but as a fading light in the distance.

sadmanbarty

My secondary school was wicked at doing Christmas. They really got into it. Huge big charity fundraiser for Swaziland. All the dinner ladies dressed as elves. Mr Nancarrow playing electric guitar in the hallway. All these delicious bermondsey girls as naughty elves.

i've been self employed since i've left so haven't been able to get in the christmas spirit in almost a decade; i think offices and schools are hugely important in reinforcing that energy.

luke once said he gets all wistful when he sees office worker's having christmas drinks and i do sympathise. it's not the same.

blissblogger

the Nuum's Favourite Christmas Song

How about this?

The Aled Jones sample is from his version of "Walking In The Air", a song from the 1982 animated film of Raymond Briggs' 1978 children's book The Snowman.

I did not know all this:

"The song forms the centrepiece of The Snowman, which has become a seasonal favourite on British and Finnish television.] The story relates the fleeting adventures of a young boy and a snowman who has come to life. In the second part of the story, the boy and the snowman fly to the North Pole. "Walking in the Air" is the theme for the journey. They attend a party of snowmen, at which the boy seems to be the only human until they meet Father Christmas with his reindeer, and the boy is given a scarf with a snowman pattern. In the film, the song was performed by St Paul's Cathedral choirboy Peter Auty, and reissued in 1985 (on Stiff Records) and 1987.

"In 1985, an altered version was recorded for use in a TV advertising campaign for Toys "R" Us. As Auty's voice had then broken, Blake recommended the then 15 year old Welsh chorister Aled Jones, whose recording reached number five in the UK pop charts, and who became a popular celebrity on the strength of his performance. The association of the song with Jones, combined with the fact that Auty was not credited on The Snowman, would lead to a common misbelief that Jones performed the song in the film. "Walking in the Air" has subsequently been covered by over forty artists, in a variety of styles. In a UK poll in 2012, the Aled Jones version was voted 13th on the ITV television special The Nation's Favourite Christmas Song."

The very thorough list of cover versions and samples at Wiki mentions Shitmat's use of it but not Congo Natty / Ras Project / Rebel MC.