Leo

seems like dramatic change is too scary for most average (ie, non-ideological) folks, so fear drives them into the arms of those who promise "security": a return to the way things used to be in better times, taking our country back, etc. even if they know in their hearts that the world has changed and we can never go back, the illusion is comfort enough.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Good for her. I imagine the activists will hate her for it though.

Watching Lab pull themselves apart on Twitter the last few days a quote from Frankie Boyle comes to mind: "They really are like a family - they fucking hate each other".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In my albeit limited experience, the new Momentum-type activists I have met have rarely been anything like the media caricature, whereas most of the endless 'can't support him/her' infighting has been from the older, mostly male activists. It drove me a bit insane while canvassing - I don't really care what my local Labour MP did in 1995, I just want Labour to win today. Whether or not I like Tony Blair (I don't) has no relevance to the fact I would back him against any Tory politician ever.

Anyways, I like Angela Rayner a lot, and she would probably be my pick for Labour leader.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@subvert47 - Yeah, I think it intersects a lot with jaded middle-age maleness, that sense of disappointment that seeps through from one's personal life to the wider narrative.

Glad you think so. I think she's a cut above the other candidates. As long as Labour finally selects a female leader though, that'll be the main thing - 5/6 chance, I guess...

sadmanbarty

My mum met up with her estranged father tonight. 85 year old working class man:

“ My dad hates Corbyn cause he has 60 million in the bank and is like hitler ... always voted labour - voted conservative this time ”

sufi

lala

IdleRich

IdleRich
“ My dad hates Corbyn cause he has 60 million in the bank and is like hitler ... always voted labour - voted conservative this time ”
When you're facing this kind of, what, propagandised ignorance I guess, then it's truly frightening. It doesn't matter what leader you choose or what direction they take the party in etc cos people aren't basing their votes on real stuff.

Leo

speaking of real stuff, do you think anyone took seriously things like a four-day work week with five day's pay? I'd imagine many "average folks" hear that sort of thing and think corbyn and labour lack credibility.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well every time I've had an office job I've wasted way more than one day a week pissing around on the internet (eg I joined dissensus shortly after getting a job at Borders) - it seems completely plausible for all the work that gets done now to be done in four days IF productivity can be increased. I mean if someone had said "Here's the deal, if you stop pretending to work and actually work fully wheb you're here then you can Fridays off" I would have jumped at it. Though I may not have kept to my side of the bargain...

Leo

ha...yeah, sure, it could conceivably be possible, but what business wants to risk taking the chance? a wonderful idea that totally implausible and unrealistic.

Leo

plus, that new four-day week would eventually become three days of actual work and one of fucking off. slippery slope!

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's what I meant about keeping my side of the bargain...
That said, when I worked in the city they shortened the number of hours the Hong Kong exchange was open each day reasoning that the trades that people want to do will still get done. No problems as far as I know.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seen the Matt cartoon from Telegraph the other day?
Can't get it to load here but basically it has some people looking at a typical Lowry picture with loads of workers outside a factory and they say "This one is called On Their Way To Vote Tory".

droid

The four day week has consistently proven to result in higher productivity, less stress, happier employees, and of course, less environmental impact.

The founder of one of the first big companies to switch to a four-day working week has called on others to follow, claiming it has resulted in a 20% rise in productivity, appeared to have helped increase profits and improved staff wellbeing.

Analysis of one of the biggest trials yet of the four-day working week has revealed no fall in output, reduced stress and increased staff engagement, fuelling hopes that a better work-life balance for millions could be in sight.

Perpetual Guardian, a New Zealand financial services company, switched its 240 staff from a five-day to a four-day week last November and maintained their pay. Productivity increased in the four days they worked so there was no drop in the total amount of work done, a study of the trial released on Tuesday has revealed.

The trial was monitored by academics at the University of Auckland and Auckland University of Technology. Among the Perpetual Guardian staff they found scores given by workers about leadership, stimulation, empowerment and commitment all increased compared with a 2017 survey.

Details of an earlier trial showed the biggest increases were in commitment and empowerment. Staff stress levels were down from 45% to 38%. Work-life balance scores increased from 54% to 78%

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...study-finds-lower-stress-but-no-cut-in-output

An experiment that involved reducing the workweek by one day led to a 40% boost in productivity in a Microsoft subsidiary in Japan, the technology giant announced last week.

The trial was part of Microsoft's "Work-Life Choice Challenge," a summer project that examined work-life balance and aimed to help boost creativity and productivity by giving employees more flexible working hours.

Microsoft Japan closed its offices every Friday in August and found that labor productivity increased by 39.9% compared with August 2018, the company said. Full-time employees were given paid leave during the closures.

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-4-day-work-week-boosts-productivity-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm generally there for the idea that we should be moving towards a shorter working week - there are good arguments that it's a feasible thing to do, and it's obviously desirable - but I'm baffled by the idea that anyone who wasn't already a guaranteed labour voter - and a particular sort of labour voter at that - was going to hear the idea, possibly for the first time, and think "yeah, that sounds inspiring but also achievable" rather than "what fucking planet do these headbangers live on?"

In fact, I got that from a lot of the Labour manifesto stuff. The response I heard a lot from soft-left types was basically that they thought it was "vote for us and get a free pony" stuff - to the extent that there was a plausible vision of a better future there, they weren't seeing it, just a disjointed pile of giveaways.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Glad you think so. I think she's a cut above the other candidates. As long as Labour finally selects a female leader though, that'll be the main thing - 5/6 chance, I guess...

From reports today it seems she's standing aside for Rebecca Long-Bailey and concentrating on the deputy leadership.