Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can someone give me a brief primer on this Burgon character? I've read an awful lot of comments about how stupid he is. What does he do? What's he for? What has he said?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hmm...I find all of this an overcomplication of the central organising principle of modern British politics.

Quick summary - it's only up until 2010 but we can fill in the blanks (and in % terms, 2005 was MUCH closer than most recall at a 3% margin, so there really is a correlation):

30_loughborough_fc.jpg

And we all know the best ways to get good political coverage in the billlionaire-owned press.

I totally agree with anyone who says that it's all about messaging. But in terms of the imbalance of media favour (I'm sure someone can find equivalent media stats for 2017, and it will be overwhelmingly Tory) Labour in 2017 did pretty damn well to lose by just 2.4%. it is a virtual impossibility to win with anything close to a left-wing economic policy - not because these ideas are inherently voter-unfriendly or anything else, but because they are billionaire-unfriendly.

So yeah, Labour needs to move economically rightwards to win an election, but that's simply because we live in a country where the super-rich call all the shots. Any other considerations pale in importance next to that. It's like conducting a complex tactical analysis into why Watford don't finish in front of Manchester City in the Premier League.

So Burgon might have been 'owned' in that interview with noted thinker Kay Burley (who I don't actually mind so much because I seem to recall her being quite scathing to Tory politicians too), but the point is that Labour did vastly better in that election than anyone would reasonably expect, based upon the media disparity and the impact that had on elections over the previous 25 years. Also, the polls *were* a poor guide to the result in 2017, to the point where everyone was proclaiming that polling was dead. So the idea they suddenly became valid again is a bit much - though in 2019 they seemed to predict it sort of well, so...Lazarus.

Last point of what has become a rant: it's very easy to make people look foolish on TV, which is part of the reason politics by media is such a shitshow.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
hmm...I find all of this an overcomplication of the central organising principle of modern British politics.

Quick summary - it's only up until 2010 but we can fill in the blanks (and in % terms, 2005 was MUCH closer than most recall at a 3% margin, so there really is a correlation):

View attachment 2100

And we all know the best ways to get good political coverage in the billlionaire-owned press.

I totally agree with anyone who says that it's all about messaging. But in terms of the imbalance of media favour (I'm sure someone can find equivalent media stats for 2017, and it will be overwhelmingly Tory) Labour in 2017 did pretty damn well to lose by just 2.4%. it is a virtual impossibility to win with anything close to a left-wing economic policy - not because these ideas are inherently voter-unfriendly or anything else, but because they are billionaire-unfriendly.

So yeah, Labour needs to move economically rightwards to win an election, but that's simply because we live in a country where the super-rich call all the shots. Any other considerations pale in importance next to that. It's like conducting a complex tactical analysis into why Watford don't finish in front of Manchester City in the Premier League.

So Burgon might have been 'owned' in that interview with noted thinker Kay Burley (who I don't actually mind so much because I seem to recall her being quite scathing to Tory politicians too), but the point is that Labour did vastly better in that election than anyone would reasonably expect, based upon the media disparity and the impact that had on elections over the previous 25 years. Also, the polls *were* a poor guide to the result in 2017, to the point where everyone was proclaiming that polling was dead. So the idea they suddenly became valid again is a bit much - though in 2019 they seemed to predict it sort of well, so...Lazarus.

Last point of what has become a rant: it's very easy to make people look foolish on TV, which is part of the reason politics by media is such a shitshow.

I agree totally with your last point and knew I was being a bit Twitter-takey when I posted it. I looked up Burgeon's wikipedia page afterwards and there are some interesting things in his background. First in family to go to University etc. However, when I have heard him speak it's just rehashed Corbyn, bash the Tories etc etc. Is there anything anywhere that might convince me he's not just a dull understudy for his retiring boss?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I"m genuinely trying to negotiate the dissonance here re. Burgeon. He comes over as thick as two short planks.

Am enjoying watching this lot lose their hold. Novara, Canary, Swkawbox etc won't have the kind of privileged access they previously enjoyed. I predict Bastani will have gone full Spiked by 2025.

Re. some of the reactions being exhibited by the Corbyn base, one of the worst things the party did was put out the line that the AS stuff was "all a smear". A lot of people were sold on this hook, line and sinker and are still repeating it, in tones of increasing anger.

craner

Beast of Burden
Current AS status: there is a big row going on about KS and RLB unequivocally accepting the Board of Deputies pledges.

Last edited: