narcissist barty's techno party

sadmanbarty

No weirdo revisionist opinions allowed sorry

i'm going to wager that this is the type of post that feeds into a resentment that every now and then coalesces into everyone calling you (and by extension me) a cunt and then the two of us go all hysterical and wounded and running away.

mvuent

Void Dweller
this, for example, sounds a lot more like what i imagine when i think of techno than most cybotron. heavy, austere, empty four on floor. by contrast i've heard "clear" in a few nyc electro mixes and it fits in pretty comfortably.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
so i just think it's hard to pin down exactly what people heard in the early detroit stuff that they didn't anywhere else. it is for me anyways. obviously it's still good music.

sadmanbarty

luke's angle on it:

Barty spend all day immersed in canonical tekno records. The roots of bladerunner

Just the thing for a rainy nothing day At the end of he world

It's a vital part of the story
Absolutely foundational.

It's very very romantic. Probably too much for you but try to go with it. It's all alienation and loneliness and staring out the window at night. Whereas house is more frantic sex and parties

luka

so i just think it's hard to pin down exactly what people heard in the early detroit stuff that they didn't anywhere else. it is for me anyways. obviously it's still good music.

It's more po faced less gay

mvuent

Void Dweller
It's more po faced less gay

i completely agree that that (etc.) is the character it ended up taking on by the 90s, just don't hear it so much in the stuff that everyone celebrates as being "where it all started"

kind of in line with what barty said actually

A distinctly-80’s way of portraying tension and menace. It’s very similar to duran duran’s ‘wild boys’. It sounds like a tightly choreographed, multi-ethnic, clearly gay dancing street gang in a michael Jackson video.

sadmanbarty

there was preoccupation with precision in 80’s drumming (of course coming out of drum machines and sequencers and all that). it’s really coming across in the drums on this. Camp flared nostrils. alan rickman in die hard. Annie lenox’s hair and outfit in ‘sweet dreams’. Those claps in ‘money that’s what I want’. Precise drumming as some strange proxy form of opulence. A very 80’s sense of “drive”. Determination.

Reminds me of this:

sadmanbarty

lots of it sounds like toys. Those synths. I suppose back then synths really were toys; these new playthings to completely explore and create worlds with. It’s roleplaying music; ‘cybotron’, ‘techno city’, ‘off to battle’. It is all very small scale though. Synths that can fit in your pocket, like fiddling with little action figure arms; a far cry from the expansive production of a lot of the 80’s. there’s also a psychological connection to toytown hardcore (prodigy’s ‘Charlie’, et al)

Luke did some thing with a free improvisation group and he said the overwhelming impression he got was that music instruments are just toys for grown men.

sadmanbarty

a very uk bass sound. Sub bass. Vaguely dubby. Rattling car speakers. Bass that sounds like you’re hearing through a wall or like a rumbling murmur from hades.

This has to be much later than the other songs. Maybe the early 2000’s?

I like that synth. Like spectral water being tipped between two containers.

Then afterwards you get that apparitional orchestra.

I like this on, even with the camp flared nostril drums.

sadmanbarty

the drums are like an overexcited basset hound running through loads of mud and fucking loving it. It’s dumb bubblegum pink, oversized tongue flailing through the air, big floppy ears. Covered in rain and mud and living life to its idiotic fullest

that chromatic thing in the chords is all witchy. Walking into a tent and a gypsy woman with big jangle bracelets and earrings is awaiting you in the austere, mystifying glow of a crystal ball.

Proper hardcore synth stabs in this one. Something an mc would say something great over; “get wild!” and then you’d proceed to get wild.

luka

a very uk bass sound. Sub bass. Vaguely dubby. Rattling car speakers. Bass that sounds like you’re hearing through a wall or like a rumbling murmur from hades.

This has to be much later than the other songs. Maybe the early 2000’s?

I like that synth. Like spectral water being tipped between two containers.

Then afterwards you get that apparitional orchestra.

I like this on, even with the camp flared nostril drums.

I really really love the infiniti stuff

sadmanbarty

‘postcard’ is apt, it is a form of exotica. It’s like john hassel. Imagining what some Javanese-like alien race would sound like. It’s the cover to herbie hancock’s sextant.

It’s like when woebot took loads of acid in Africa under the naked light of the cosmos and danced the night away.

sadmanbarty

This is a remake of that Babylon one isn’t it? If not, it’s very similar. Nanobot gothic architecture. Sounds like the gothic level in time splitters 2.

sadmanbarty

I can’t enjoy this because it isn’t big fun. Big fun is so, so, so beautiful. It dwarfs this one. renders it valueless.