narcissist barty's techno party

sadmanbarty

upon hearing that i don't know any techno luke insists that i listen to this, highlighting that it's foundational in terms of the hardcore continuum:

sadmanbarty

Those opening pads could be shiver down the spine-inducing at a rave. This audible cool breeze that washes over you healing and cleansing you in the midst of humid, sweaty pandemonium (that dj rap one works in the same way, as does higher sense’s aptly titled ‘cold fresh air’).

Once the bass and drum kicks in we’re getting something more comical. A distinctly-80’s way of portraying tension and menace. It’s very similar to duran duran’s ‘wild boys’. It sounds like a tightly choreographed, multi-ethnic, clearly gay dancing street gang in a michael Jackson video.

sadmanbarty

wow, incredible 80’s voice. The cure, 80’s bowie, killing joke, I’m sure all british rock of the period really. Totally hammy, over the top, non-naturalistic way of trying to imbue singing with emotion.

It’s all rock music influenced in the instrumental as well. Reynolds' thing about the detroid black middle class looking to European white society for their cultural cues.

sadmanbarty

the title sounds like a drill alias; r6, v9, c1, c2, etc.

I did an ill-fated essay about drill in which I pitch it in part as this reimagining of the hardcore continuum. The drums are like jungle and uk funky compined, but instead of making you dance they’re ghostly and disaccosiative. Instead of rave pianos that are staccato bursts of sunshine, drill has these viscous, nihilistic, murky pianos. The collectivism of a rave is reimagined in terms of the individual dissolving into a collective gang identity.

Drill’s aesthetic of anonymity (masks, code-like names, indistinguishable vocal deliveries, etc.) harkens back to the days of “faceless techno bollocks”.

Unfortunately the music itself has been pastiched to the point that you can’t hear it on its own terms. It sounds like what they’d play in a club in the simpsons. It’s a bit like luke’s covent garden break dancers; at the time a marvel, now reduced to something that can only be viewed as comical and ironic.

sadmanbarty

I know this one. Was it sampled by Ciara or someone? Really reminds of being little.

Like the last one, it’s been parodied to the point where it’s not real anymore. It’s retroactive hyperreality. The shadows in plato’s cave.

sadmanbarty

“through Babylon” is a wicked title.

This one isn’t so much a victim of the time barrier, it’s dated a bit better. Well the main riff has anyway, that’s absolutely stunning. Really beautiful. Like a cathedral organ made of nanobots.

luka

Remember that the time barrier is always a failure of imagination on the part of the listener and never a failure of the music itself.

luka

Remember that the time barrier is always a failure of imagination on the part of the listener and never a failure of the music itself.

It was put forward as a way to demand more of ourselves as listeners not as a way to chuck history homework in the bin

sadmanbarty

It was put forward as a way to demand more of ourselves as listeners not as a way to chuck history homework in the bin

cartoon physics would be my way of getting round the time barrier with this stuff. bouncy, stretchy and all that.

Leo

to state the obvious, this is all Detroit techno. foundational, the origins, all great. but there's lots of other types of techno, some influenced by Detroit and some not.

luka

to state the obvious, this is all Detroit techno. foundational, the origins, all great. but there's lots of other types of techno, some influenced by Detroit and some not.

Well he can't listen to it all at once can he fucks sake! The lad has to start somewhere!

Leo

Well he can't listen to it all at once can he fucks sake! The lad has to start somewhere!

glad to see you've finally crawled out of your post-election hole, happy holidays to you as well!

mvuent

Void Dweller
great write ups but unfortunately 80s detroit techno is mostly superfluous to electronic music history. it's just a weird side show that a few resident advisor types have talked very loudly about since. chicago and nyc were where the really important developments occurred.

luka

great write ups but unfortunately 80s detroit techno is mostly superfluous to electronic music history. it's just a weird side show that a few resident advisor types have talked very loudly about since. chicago and nyc were where the really important developments occurred.

No weirdo revisionist opinions allowed sorry