narcissist barty's techno party

mvuent

Void Dweller
great write ups but unfortunately 80s detroit techno is mostly superfluous to electronic music history. it's just a weird side show that a few resident advisor types have talked very loudly about since. chicago and nyc were where the really important developments occurred.

No weirdo revisionist opinions allowed sorry

wait, hold on a minute...

if detroit can have a myth based on a couple of pleasant burbling techno records

mvuent

Void Dweller
There's an aesthetic elegance to it which was conspicuously missing from UK mutations, which they hated as you can hear in the conversation towards the end of this show:

when he says "you have to be in detroit to get it" or whatever?

i like the line about "letting the machine enhance you rather than you enhancing the machine"

mvuent

Void Dweller
did the detroit ogs really all hate british techno?

atkins did two remixes of spice and saunderson has a few tracks that are full on uk hardcore aesthetically

of course given their sudden popularity in the uk it would have been crazy not to release anything for that demographic

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's a video of Derrick May on YouTube talking about making this tune. As I recall he was standing butt naked in his apartment at his keyboard, looking at the Detroit skyline as the sun went up/went down/maybe I just made that bit up.
I do remember an interview with him rhapsodising about tripping out on that tune as he made it. Can't remember the details, I imagine it's the same one you're talking about though.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
did the detroit ogs really all hate british techno?

atkins did two remixes of spice and saunderson has a few tracks that are full on uk hardcore aesthetically

of course given their sudden popularity in the uk it would have been crazy not to release anything for that demographic

maybe with Mayday but nah mostly cultural warring. I mean Mils and hood made as much early hardcore techno as anyone. in fact with jungle if you weren't committed to the artcore direction (I'm not saying this is my pov) and didn't want happy hardcore, then hard techno was the place to go if you wanted hardcore rave music. loads of utilitarian acid to smoke the head.

mvuent

Void Dweller
maybe with Mayday but nah mostly cultural warring. I mean Mils and hood made as much early hardcore techno as anyone. in fact with jungle if you weren't committed to the artcore direction (I'm not saying this is my pov) and didn't want happy hardcore, then hard techno was the place to go if you wanted hardcore rave music. loads of utilitarian acid to smoke the head.

when would this choice have come up? after jungle had progressed or when it first arrived?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
when would this choice have come up? after jungle had progressed or when it first arrived?

knowledge started mid 92, which was intent on being pretty purist techno but pretty much also ended up having acardipaine and other hardcore noise merchants play live (you can't create a purism when it doesn't exist subculturally, etc etc...)

trippy darkside acid into full on rotterdam mentalism

mvuent

Void Dweller
knowledge started mid 92, which was intent on being pretty purist techno but pretty much also ended up having acardipaine and other hardcore noise merchants play live (you can't create a purism when it doesn't exist subculturally, etc etc...)

trippy darkside acid into full on rotterdam mentalism

wait now i think i get what you're saying. hardcore techno (but not detroit purist techno) was an alternative to jungle as the way to go after hardcore. zeroing in on the mental noises instead of the breaks.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
wait now i think i get what you're saying. hardcore techno (but not detroit purist techno) was an alternative to jungle as the way to go after hardcore. zeroing in on the mental noises instead of the breaks.

somewhat, though I'd say purist hardcore techno in distinction to purist melodic techno.

by 94 hardcore techno in the UK could mean awful cheesy dutch gabba shite though, but of course in the underground squats the midwest/german/french/edinburgh sound (early landstrumm etc) was dominant. annd of course caustic visions, one of the UK's greatest hardcore techno acts. basically anything affiliated with alien underground is hardcore techno, dj brisk at helter skelter is cheesy dutch gabba (imo.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
remember being underwhelmed by the first Detroit Techno comp in '88 - didn't seem as mental or deranging as the acid house stuff like Sleezy D and Phuture etc

there's no sex and hardly any drugs in Detroit Techno, but there's other things that it's got going for itself - the loneliness - a tender aching romanticism

i seem to remember really liking this Rythim is Rythm B-side (of 'Strings of Life') and comparing it to Joy Division for some reason - which i cannot hear at all now, but i can hear new order 'blue monday' maybe

and this one also B-side of 'Strings' has some raw drum processing

This don't sound very romantic to me.
Really the romanticism is juan/derrick may. Reece wasn't very romantic either i don't think.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think May is highly overrated in techno history. i love juan and (some) Derrick May tracks but as a whole he's been great at blowing his trumpet. Great dj but there's a lot of rumours of him being a ladies man (in an ominous and nasty, not suave way)

a lot of his projects have others on co-production credits yet he's always gone off on one about how he got sick of the music industry. I mean if you were really sick of the industry you wouldn't be jetsetting djing internationally, rather locked up in your studio, let's be real.

And of course rich black people have it harder to rich white people on average/generalisations being generalisations etc, but it's hardly (based on his interviews) like he was going to ever be begging for money if he spent a couple of years getting familiar with the developments in tech, but then, maybe his interview was bollocks given how he comes across in old music mag issues and on RBMA. The signs were there for everyone to see.

As a whole chicago, kalamizoo etc etc have been more appreciative of the UK audience, whereas a very small minority of the Belleville lot have sometimes been under the impression that we'll eat up any old shit in the UK. Which, amongst a certain breed of guilty middle aged white detroit techno fan is absolutely the case, so they are not wrong in that regard.

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
As a whole chicago, kalamizoo etc etc have been more appreciative of the UK audience, whereas a very small minority of the Belleville lot have sometimes been under the impression that we'll eat up any old shit in the UK. Which, amongst a certain breed of guilty middle aged white detroit techno fan is absolutely the case, so they are not wrong in that regard.

you might dig this all Kalamazoo mix I found recently - some pretty cool stuff on there, imo

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
great write ups but unfortunately 80s detroit techno is mostly superfluous to electronic music history. it's just a weird side show that a few resident advisor types have talked very loudly about since. chicago and nyc were where the really important developments occurred.
could you do a thread like this for chicago or nyc? 🔥