mvuent's 2step vortex

mvuent

Void Dweller

this is like the third song in a row with this sort of very steady filtered riff in the background (@ the start). like a much gentler, luxury spa acid bassline. healing rather than searing.

the drum sounds and programming are really perfect in this one. dry and skeletal yet full sounding. light absorbing bass flows freely under the steady mechanical pulse.

one of those time lapse videos filmed in the morning where you see dew on flowers illuminated by the sun, light shining through clouds, etc. might not be convincing set to different vocals and lyrics, but here it works—surprisingly.

very archetypal lurching 2step pulse underlying things though. how 2step sounded in my head before hearing any of these.

mvuent

Void Dweller

~10 million views huh? i wouldn't have guessed at all, especially from the first 15 seconds. appeals to incomprehensible uk notions of cool.

the timbre of the kick reminds me of modern trap. satisfyingly punchy and midrange-y.

the weird flute/recorder melody, dark ambient pads, and mantra “we can make it through the night” make me imagine a bunch of early humans gathered around a night fire in a cave. paleolithic 2step?

herp derp
4 years ago
fam im like 89 and still listening to these bangers and pre ww2 bangers big up the olden goldies

mvuent

Void Dweller

one of the white guys in these pics looks exactly like autechre. what if a bunch of barty and luka’s favorite 2step tunes are actually ghost produced by autechre?

steels drums usually connote a tropical setting. but there’s nothing else particularly tropical about this.

the beat has a piston-like stiffness, moving forward purposefully and seriously as everything else dances around it trying to district it. simultaneously fidgety yet plodding; wobbly yet perfectly upright.

bleep n bass

so with this and the last two i feel like i’ve entered a third (at minimum) “neighborhood” of 2step. hard angles, brutalist sonic choices, reminiscent of warp 89-90. like an updated take on that sound. a far cry from the mall spas we started at.

yet another quality upload from funbags82

shortage of air, attenuated vocal phrases that barely get out in short bursts.

sorry these are short but its almost 5am here. thanks for giving me this task barty, it's been fun.

luka

appeals to incomprehensible uk notions of cool.

A lot of this stuff does, particularly at the poppier end of the spectrum.

sadmanbarty

brittle drums. drops of moisture appear around 1:14. becoming liquid swirls in wildstyle patterns at 1:28.

multiplying voices. appearing and disappearing in a second, practically cutting each other off at times. chatter. different colors of voice interweaving.

abjectly chilling this one. it's like trying to see a face through a condensation covered pane of glass. these emotions materialising and then dissipating as melodic lines are introduced and dropped.

that ghostly vibrato and thin vibrato; like a holographic girlfriend. idealised, but also translucent and intangible. in love with an idea. the fictions we tell ourselves. and the deep anguish we feel knowing they're not true.

how's that for your universal musical language luke?

sadmanbarty

~10 million views huh? i wouldn't have guessed at all, especially from the first 15 seconds. appeals to incomprehensible uk notions of cool.

the timbre of the kick reminds me of modern trap. satisfyingly punchy and midrange-y.

the weird flute/recorder melody, dark ambient pads, and mantra “we can make it through the night” make me imagine a bunch of early humans gathered around a night fire in a cave. paleolithic 2step?

herp derp
4 years ago
fam im like 89 and still listening to these bangers and pre ww2 bangers big up the olden goldies

this was a staple choon in my self-proclaimed cool club. a fundamental touchstone in my formative notions of 'cool'. my visualisation of it is very mch informed by that era's music videos too; a cross between the videos of prodigy's 'firestarter' and artful dodger's 're-rewind'.

there's something mystical and (to make version happy) cave like about it. it sounds like an amber fire situated amongst stalagmites around which myths are told. cave paintings revealed by flickering, apricot torchlight. moses' burning bush.

there's that bleep bit as well, sowing these hardcore continuum seeds in a young barty.

very multicultural. jamaican vocals, that indian-esque incantation, euro sterile-tech chic. it's all there. but sinister, foreshadowing post-9/11 attitudes about multiculturism. it's not 'bend it like beckham', it's tommy robinson livestreaming talking about "enemy combatants"

universal language.

(by the way clever comment about the trap kick drum)

craner

Beast of Burden
I just upped the GB quota on my phone so I can plug it into my car stereo and listen to Dr Cock's playlists while driving. Brilliant!