Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of the loop/in the bubble

Makes sense, I'm getting confused with the more US-type system. Haven't been in contact with private healthcare at all in the UK, i don't think, an area of mystery

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Makes sense, I'm getting confused with the more US-type system. Haven't been in contact with private healthcare at all in the UK, i don't think, an area of mystery
    In the medium term, what's most likely is you guys will end up with something like our poxy system. Increased fees for all public services. Overcrowding in hospitals, increased drug costs and ever extending waiting lists for procedures. Still a decent system once you get in but more expensive and difficult to access. This will be accompanied by a rise in private healthcare provision and facilities and the creation of a two tier system where those that can pay get to skip the queue - often to see the same doctors in the same hospitals. Next step is risk equalisation where the state essentially forces you to take out private insurance at an earlier age or face penalisation later.

Thats all assuming they don't just gut the NHS in one fell swoop using hard Brexit and the US trade deal as cover. Not implausible considering that once Scotland goes there'll be no way to oust them with the electoral system. The question then is just how brutal and repressive they will get in response to the inevitable mass protests.

As obvious as it is to say it, the press is scary in this country - I'm not sure how much sway they still hold in the era of the internet (which is an even worse source of misinformation), but the frothing hysteria of the tabloids and right wing broadsheets in the run-up to this election was alarming to behold. What made it particularly transparent this time around was that they had to prop up the obviously awful Johnson despite his transparent awfulness. Corbyn certainly has big faults but a big proportion of the electorate ended up thinking he was a terrorist.

The London vs the rest of the country thing - that film Bait gave me an insight (or so I believe) into how distant even London must seek from areas like Cornwall, let alone Brussels. And again, when you're outside of these urban areas your picture of them has to come from the media. I always think it's curious that people who live in rural areas relatively untouched by immigration are so anti immigration but perhaps that's because they are generally only imagining what it's like in places like London. (Which isn't to say of course that people - particularly working class - in London don't resent immigration.)

The Tories have got it easy, really, because they can play to people's worst instincts (with the press to back them up). That's why I think Labour almost have no choice but to at least APPEAR more "centrist". I don't think most people are cunts, which is what many lefties (including myself) were expressing online after the election, but many people are scared, depressed, overwhelmed. Which can bring out good things in people but can also be easily exploited by the morally vacant.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    The London vs the rest of the country thing - that film Bait gave me an insight (or so I believe) into how distant even London must seek from areas like Cornwall, let alone Brussels. And again, when you're outside of these urban areas your picture of them has to come from the media. I always think it's curious that people who live in rural areas relatively untouched by immigration are so anti immigration but perhaps that's because they are generally only imagining what it's like in places like London.
    Bear in mind that people move around, and it's not uncommon for people who've lived in cities to move to small towns and villages, especially as retirees. "White flight", and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    (Which isn't to say of course that people - particularly working class - in London don't resent immigration.)
    Indeed, and people who are themselves immigrants (or the kids of immigrants) can be opposed to further immigration.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs