Best of 2019

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not a great year for ANY genre as far as I'm aware?

Do we believe there is such a good thing as a good or bad year, or is it arbitrary?

I wonder if some artists are saving stuff for 2020. It being a very impressive number.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I believe in stuff like golden eras and the pendulum swing in culture and all that.

Please lord let me be excited about music once more before I'm 40.

catalog

I can't work out whether contemporary music is shit now because it's just shit or because I'm too old

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only thing is nothing exciting has happened that I am geographically close enough to have felt part of.

I did also realise compiling my best of 2010s how tied I am now to Spotify. It's taken my participation away. I used to scour websites and mixes. Before that I bought records.

Now I just "add to playlist".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The last time I felt that was for deep tech but that died for me quite fast.

Going to a night in Tottenham where they played know my name and made u look did feel like something really exciting was happening (a lot of that music has aged badly cos it's so bare and sounds boring when you're sat in your room).

catalog

2012-2017 was good. Has tailed off for me in the last couple of years. Soon youll need to pay me to listen to music.

version

Perhaps politics has sucked up so much of people's time and energy that it's had a detrimental effect on music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dunno about politics being the big sponge, I think it's everything else - the Internet gives you so many options. Plus streaming means you can listen to the complete history of recorded music. There's no NEED for new music to exist (for us, anyway).

I listen to as much music as ever, I think. But most of it isn't new.

version

Yeah, that too. Also music just seems to be less important these days. The songs are shorter, the videos are geared toward going viral/producing memes and the ephemeral seems to have been completely embraced. It's at the point where, to me at least, any sort of round up seems to be missing the point. How can you do a yearly round up of things which have no intention of lasting? They're almost like self-destructing messages. We're trying to catch and collect things which aren't supposed to be caught.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The last time I felt that was for deep tech but that died for me quite fast.

Happened to hear this today and feeling it, almost more like a hard electro tune than his other stuff...

I still see posters in London everywhere for those big house nights with Sam Supplier et al.