As the clever hopes expire of a low dishonest decade...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What were your jams?

My top 100 of the 2010s (1 choon per artist) is still in flux but here it is atm

Compiling this has led me to think about how music has changed over ten years for me - from something I was personally invested in (making/writing about/going out to listen to) to something I have a passive relationship with. The role of the Internet and my beloved Spotify in that.

Really I need to write notes for this top 100 as many choices require a sort of explanation. Anyway, as it stands all these ones either mean something to me or are just what I consider standout songs. (Hate on me for the Calvin Harris by all means.)

Which brings me onto another observation - how mainstream my taste has become, probably in line with the penning in of Spotify etc. I've listened to a wider variety of music this decade than ever before. I've fallen in love with music that it's doubtful I'd have heard without streaming, let alone without the internet.

But is my engagement more shallow now? I'm not into a genre anymore, so I skim things, and avoid deviations from the norm. Well, either that or my taste has been sharpened to a fine point and I can tell in a minute if something has what I want.

I think writing about music might be of no interest to anyone else but is worth doing for oneself to maintain an engagement.

Anyway, I'm very interested in knowing your best ofs, especially those of you with special genre knowledge of the sort that I had up until maybe 2015 or so and now have foresworn.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Notable movements

Atlanta Trap > Chicago Drill > UK Drill
Autotune rap ( + cloud rap) > Acid rap (Emo rap)
Afrobeats! > UK Afrobeats/trap
DJ MUSTARD - the golden years - bliss it was to be alive
Alt N B =
Misery N B (Weeknd et al) +
ART N B (Kelela, Solange, etc.)
UK Pop House renaissance (?) ("Rinse FM Pop")
Deep Tech

Last edited:

version

The whole forum is tbh.

Anyway, I dunno whether it's a health issue or the nature of media these days, but I can barely remember what I've watched, read or listened to over the course of the year. If you were to toss the stuff in front of me I'd remember the details, but off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank. I know I read a bunch of books, but I only really remember reading Nova Express and Cosmopolis.

The point about the change in engagement is something I've noticed too. Music suddenly became a much more casual interest for me and the speed at which it happened caught me off guard. I still listen to it a fair bit, but it's mostly just letting stuff on YouTube roll out and the stuff I'm listening to is generally much more mellow. I don't find myself feeling the urge to keep up with things or delve too deeply, I don't listen to radio or follow any playlists or anything like that and I rarely buy or even download new or old releases. The nerdy/obsessive side seems to have completely vanished.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was reading all my old Tumblr posts to jog my memory on the decade and I felt a sense of loss of that nerd enthusiasm I had at that time for rap music in particular (which I'd previously felt for drum n bass, dubstep...).

Something about the internet that has effected me in spite of myself is the visibility of views/listens. Not sure why but it's really taken my enthusiasm away for unpopular things, whereas I think I used to somewhat prize being one of the relatively few people aware of and passionate about an artist or track - now if I see a song has about 543 views on YouTube I almost think what's the point of it existing :crylarf:

I might be an outlier here but I do think the internet encourages this sort of status seeking/status anxiety.

version

It's quite liberating in some respects. I used to do stuff like buy full releases for the sake of completion despite not liking certain tracks and that's more or less gone now. If nothing else, it saves money.

version

One thing I don't like is when I consider where my attention's gone instead as it's often taken up by even more fleeting things than music, things like flicking through Reddit, watching stuff on YouTube and reading articles and Wikipedia pages.

version

Thankfully I've no interest in TikTok, although I've probably seen a bunch of TikTok clips without realising. Everything's lifted and recycled on every platform these days. TikTok itself is basically just Vine again.

Leo

The whole forum is tbh.

isn't it usually pretty quiet over the holidays, people away from home and their keyboards? plus, there's no fire in the belly when supreme leader luka isn't around. I'm sure it'll rebound.

RWY

Actress - Maze
Guido - Mad Sax
Underworld - Scribble
FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
Deadboy - If You Want Me
Untold - Mass Dreams Of The Future
Maya Jane Coles - What They Say
Mosca - Tilt Shift (Burgaboy Remix)
Todd Edwards - I Might Be
Girl Unit - Wut
S-X - Woooo Riddim
Rustie - Hover Traps / Surph
MMM - Dex
Mosca - Bax
Redlight - Source 16
Hot Natured - Forward Motion
Scuba - Adrenalin
Deadboy - Here 4 U
Omar-S - Here's Your Trance, Now Dance!!
Hudson Mohawke - All Your Love
FaltyDL - Make It Difficult
Vybz Kartel - Half On A Baby (Dubbel Dutch Remix)
DJ Q - All Junglist / Will I Ever Be Free
Mark Henning - Trojan
Trevino - Derelict
NKC - Fading Floor
Dusky - Flo Jam
Dubbel Dutch - B Leave
Lucy Love - We Are The Stars (Tom Shorterz Remix)
Julio Bashmore - Au Seve
Preditah - Red Bull
Aaron “Fit” Siegel - Tonite (DD Mix)
Kodiak - Egyptian Kings
Sophie - Nothing More To Say / EEEHHH
Guido - Lucky Git
MssingNo - XE2 / 124th
TOYC - Keyframe (Youngstar Remix)
Dennis Ferrer - Mind Ur Step
Scotty Boy & Chris Lorenzo - Coke Diet
Dusky - Careless
Disclosure - Help Me Lose My Mind (Paul Woolford Remix)
Lords of Midnite - Drown In Your Love
Legowelt - Visions In My Mind
Mumdance & Logos - Wut It Do (12” Mix)
Rustie - Slasherr
Real Lies - Deeper
Dark0 - Sweet Boy Pose
Carnao Beats - Know My Name
Sinoia Caves - 1966 - Let The New Age Of Enlightenment Begin
Legowelt - Experimental Awakening
Murlo & JT The Goon - Plume
Mumdance & Novelist - Take Time
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - The Last Time I Saw Your Face
DJ Hazard - Bricks Don’t Roll
Rabit - Sun God
Evian Christ - Salt Carousel
Flava D - In The Dance
A. G. Cook - Beautiful
Nightshift - Made You Look (Hugo Massien Remix)
Tinashe - 2 On (DJ Q Remix)
Iron Soul - E-Motion
Gundam - Beam Cannon Dub
Legowelt - Institute of the Overmind (Photonz Remix)
Strice Face - Into Stone
Lapti & Nocow - Sirenas
Hugo Massien - Kontrol
Zomby - Acid Surf
Iglew - Sleep Lighter VIP
Ross From Friends - Talk To Me You’ll Understand
Betonkust & Palmbomen II - 24x33
DJ Boring - Winona
Rustie - First Mythz
Murlo - Hunter
Lorenzo Senni - Win In The Flat World
Legowelt - Sampling Winter
Pet Shop Boys - Say It To Me (Real Lies Remix)
MssingNo - Inta
Banshee - High Let Me Fly (Zomby Remix)
Sky H1 - Land
Dark0 - Forever / Luka
Avicii ft. Rita Ora - Lonely Together
Charli XCX - ILY2 (Danny L Harle Euphoria Edit)
Lanark Artefax - Touch Absence
Clint Mansell - Waves Crashing On Distant Shores of Time / San Junipero (Saturday Night in the City of the Dead)
Wen - Blips
Interplanetary Criminal - Work
Burial - Rodent
Maxwell Sterling - Feeling Without Meaning
DJ Seinfeld - Too Late For U and M1
Betonkust - Ferenc’s Escape
Tinashe - Superlove (Danny L Harle Remix)
Trigger Happy - Volume 1 Side A
Sharda - Meet Me Halfway
Gabor Lazar - Squeeze
Lake Haze - Space Reservoirs
Innershades - Revenge
Betonkust & Innershades - In Love With A Girl Who Doesn’t Exist
Y U QT - U Belong 2 Me
Schacke - Kisloty People

Last edited:

blissblogger

Notable movements

Atlanta Trap > Chicago Drill > UK Drill
Autotune rap ( + cloud rap) > Acid rap (Emo rap)
Afrobeats! > UK Afrobeats/trap
DJ MUSTARD - the golden years - bliss it was to be alive
Alt N B =
Misery N B (Weeknd et al) +
ART N B (Kelela, Solange, etc.)
UK Pop House renaissance (?) ("Rinse FM Pop")
Deep Tech

this is pretty much the entirety of what i can remember from the decade as notable / era-distinctive / likeable-or-loveable, except that i barely connected with the Alt n B and Art N B or the UK Pop House/RinseFM (it didn't really reach these shores)

the Mustardy bliss phase is probably my favorite of all, although AutoTune rap-Atlanta-mumblestuff is close behind it

what else was there? there was good Top 40 stuff, starting with Kesha and Dev and through to Eilish...

some nu-New Age (and old New Age) - but that by definition is not a new development of the decade

almost the entirety of serious / credible electronic music (club and non-club) and serious/credible post-indie/alt /extreme rock music, i.e the stuff that features in most of the magazine end of years is stuff that i listened to (well, some of it anyway - too much to listen to it all) but about which i can barely remember a thing - that's not a judgement really, it's just a fact - it went right through and out the other side

i seem to have fallen into a fairly moronic metric which is if i can remember it, it's probably got something going for it... a perspective that immediately biases you to the mnemonically-endowed - stuff with hooks

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Si lives by the beach in la and says it’s just like this video. He has a similar physique to the blokes in it too.

sadmanbarty

This is weird this. I never hear new pop music in London (it’s all dancehall, afrobeats, drill and then wham on the radio in the caf). So I first heard it on Greece and I just assumed it was some Tajik edm or Sonething.