Entertainment’s date

entertainment

There's still wealth inequality but when you compare what we're fighting for and complaining about to what you're fighting for and complaining about in the UK or the rest of the world for that matter, it's obvious that we're generally pretty well off.

It's easy to feel a bit cut off from the 'real world'. I realize that it's a annoyingly privileged position to be taking but is the alternative any better?

entertainment

I think i'll reconsider that position. Obviously there are many people struggling and suffering here that shouldn't be disregarded. Probably I'm just tired of the place and looking for a change.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wasn't criticising you btw just wondered about denmark from a danish perspective cos I only ever see it in the news when it's about how it's so happy there.

I can imagine it being culturally bland. This comparison will make some ppl howl I guess but it's like when I moved from Bath back to Bristol. Bristol is definitely scuzzier but it has 100% more lively culture.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Most people I've ever met from Denmark or Sweden seem a bit bemused by the UK opinion of the Nordics as some kind of paradise.

An initial Google suggests that the Danish far right fell back in the last election after having been considered a threat (is that right?), but that in Sweden the far right were recently polling as the biggest party.

And on the internationally-recognised scale of Domestic Drill Influence:

Last edited:

entertainment

Most people I've ever met from Denmark or Sweden seem a bit bemused by the UK opinion of the Nordics as some kind of paradise.

An initial Google suggests that the Danish far right fell back in the last election after having been considered a threat (is that right?), but that in Sweden the far right were recently polling as the biggest party.

And on the internationally-recognised scale of Domestic Drill Influence:

Not a paradise by any means, but we're a lot richer and have a larger welfare state than the UK. Lower, but growing inequality and I get the feeling that our labor market is a bit more forgiving.

What people often talk about when this Nordic exeptionalism comes up is the unusually high degree of social trust around here.

The big nationalist right party fell back from something like 20% to 8% this summer. A small portion of that went to two other far right parties. One of those are unabashed neo-nazis and they got 1,8% which is just short of the limit to get a seat in parliament.

The centre left went up and is the biggest party now, which could look like a step in the opposite direction from the rest of Europe. But our centre left party is much less pro immigration so I don't really what it says about the people.

entertainment

Wasn't criticising you btw just wondered about denmark from a danish perspective cos I only ever see it in the news when it's about how it's so happy there.

I can imagine it being culturally bland. This comparison will make some ppl howl I guess but it's like when I moved from Bath back to Bristol. Bristol is definitely scuzzier but it has 100% more lively culture.

It's relative tho isn't it. Even if people lived in what was a veritable paradise compared to the rest of the world, wouldn't they still find habit in high standards and complain about meaningless shit?

I think steadily moving forward is the best thing you can do and that's pretty much what's been happening here for decades. Experiencing actual progress, albeit marginal, has a profound impact on your outlook.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know it's mainly in Norway not Denmark, but the black metal scene always stuck me as what you get when a society is so permissive, progressive and liberal that would-be rebels don't really have anything to rebel against except existence itself.

luka

Denmark seems more like Belgium than proper Scandinavia to me. Got a sort of sex-killer pervert locked in the basement quality to it. Not the clean air of the north.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Locked in a basement is definitely a German and Austrian speciality rather than a Belgium one. Every country has their thing and that's theirs - Fritzl, the guy who took Natasha Kampusch etc In fact the other day there was that family they found all locked in by their father (they think) on a farm in NL... but surprise surprise, turned out the guy was Austrian. My girlfriend - she used to live there - puts it down to the way that so many German houses have cellars and neighbours who are too polite to intrude but there's gotta be more to it than that hasn't there?
Though actually I'd have thought that culturally Denmark is closer to Germany than Belgium so maybe your point stands anyway?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just to jump in again with some more German slander - wasn't sex with animals made illegal like two years ago?

version

Locked in a basement is definitely a German and Austrian speciality rather than a Belgium one. Every country has their thing and that's theirs - Fritzl, the guy who took Natasha Kampusch etc In fact the other day there was that family they found all locked in by their father (they think) on a farm in NL... but surprise surprise, turned out the guy was Austrian. My girlfriend - she used to live there - puts it down to the way that so many German houses have cellars and neighbours who are too polite to intrude but there's gotta be more to it than that hasn't there?

Kasper Hauser.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Though actually I'd have thought that culturally Denmark is closer to Germany than Belgium so maybe your point stands anyway?

i agree with this. austria is definitely the creepiest and weirdest country there is. also not at all surprised hitler was one of them.