Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Default Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

The jokes weren't necessarily that funny, but I can't say I didn't enjoy seeing him lay into them. I'm assuming they decided to have him back as some form of "controlled opposition", allowing themselves to be humiliated for a few hours in an effort to placate the growing backlash.

Can't really stand Gervais most of the time. He loves to think he's some sort of genius rebel.

Still, it is satisfying to see this sort of thing, especially the anti-Apple/Disney/Amazon rhetoric. Even if it's a hollow charade.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

it's all about TV ratings. at the end of the day, the Golden Globes doesn't really give a shit what a host says, as long as the host draws viewers. obviously there are some limits, they'd probably pull the plug on him mid-show if he said the GGs were the worst awards ever and judges were all ratfuckers or something, but aside from that it's all about TV ratings and related ad revenue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Can't really stand Gervais most of the time. He loves to think he's some sort of genius rebel.
    That seems to be the case for a lot of comedians. It comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    it's all about TV ratings. at the end of the day, the Golden Globes doesn't really give a shit what a host says, as long as the host draws viewers. obviously there are some limits, they'd probably pull the plug on him mid-show if he said the GGs were the worst awards ever and judges were all ratfuckers or something, but aside from that it's all about TV ratings and related ad revenue.
    Didn't he call the judging committee racists?

dunno, didn't watch.

"Many talented people of color were snubbed in major categories. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about that. Hollywood Foreign press are all very racist. Fifth time."

When was Gervais last in a big film? He tried it for a while. I remember seeing him in Stardust. He seems to have gone the Netflix special route now.

He's done nothing good since The Office, really.

Apparently he's worth about $130m, though.

I liked bits of Extras and Life's Too Short, but The Office was definitely his finest hour - partly because it wasn't all about him and the supporting cast/characters were strong.

Tom Hanks sitting in there looking offended at Ricky Gervais' jokes meanwhile his son is out on the red carpet doing this

https://twitter.com/sleep2dream/stat...33725631143936

15. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

Gervais' finest moment was a series which he admitted was a ripoff of The Larry Sanders Show. Especially David Brent being almost completely based on Hank Kingsley. At the time he was hailed as the saviour of British comedy by the press, and boy did he ever buy into it. But the thing that really made him into the lovable figure we all know him as now was when America adopted him as their favourite limey pet. This propelled him into the Emperor's New Clothes territory at a level I don't think has ever been seen before. No project he has done since The Office was anywhere near as good. Many of them utter embarrassments. Derek? The Invention of Lying? Fuck off. And tbh on a recent revisit I've decided the office is also a piece of shit. It just doesn't stand the test of time, sorry. His inability to actually realise any of this and to keep trying to come up with new hits which only seem to sink even faster than the last one is a testement to the power of delusion rife in Hollywood. Him and Hollywood deserve each other.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    Tom Hanks sitting in there looking offended at Ricky Gervais' jokes meanwhile his son is out on the red carpet doing this

https://twitter.com/sleep2dream/stat...33725631143936
    GjY46RC.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Gervais' finest moment was a series which he admitted was a ripoff of The Larry Sanders Show. Especially David Brent being almost completely based on Hank Kingsley.
    Even if he does think that, I really don't see it. The characters on Larry Sanders may have embarrassed themselves but they were still likable. It wasn't cringe comedy. You weren't squirming in your chair every time they appeared on screen and opened their mouth. And David Brent is absolutely not Hank Kingsley. They're both delusional, but Brent is a talentless nobody, whereas Hank is an absolute don.

hank.jpg
    Last edited by subvert47; 06-01-2020 at 07:29 PM.