Wiley vs. Stormzy

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd prefer Wiley to win but Stormzy is winning let's be honest

Don't really know how this whole beef started, is it cos Wiley dissed Ed Sheeran and drake ? LoL

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I totally missed the rise of Stormzy and I still don't get how it happened exactly - social media/Maya jama?

Like this has got 98 million views.

I can see why Wiley is bitter that this guy came along took the style he helped invent and became a massive star. Like Dizzee all over again!

It's a shame cos Wiley is a legend obvs and is saying some true stuff but he comes off as bitter and desperate in this beef.

Still, fingers crossed he really snacks him with the third one.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One notable thing is how much better the "Know better" beat is than any of the other beats they've used.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Didn't know Wiley's half brother was a grime MC he is pretty good actually

(I'm sure others are aware btw I'm not claiming to discover him Luka lol)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This sent me down a mini rabbit hole of P Money Vs Dot Rotten and Chipmunk Vs Bugzy Malone videos.

Some amazing talent these guys have got. Never knew Chipmunk was that good either.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think pretty much all of chips dubs are good in that battle, the two below in particular. Bugzy Malone has some good bars here and there but on the whole seemed to be outwitted and outrapped. Also he makes his disses proper songs with (corny) hooks - which maybe explains whey they're viewed by millions more people on YouTube?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I liked hearing the third Wiley track cos he's still so good on grime but it wasn't focused enough as a diss track.

Obviously I dunno if Stormzy was just lying about Wiley's mum living in Cyprus so that could have all been bollocks.

Still, Stormzy is winning/has won. Sad!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe the issue is partly that Wiley isn't actually that angry with Stormzy, he's just after publicity. And he genuinely annoyed Stormzy so Stormzy went in on his family.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Someone on Reddit of all places said

It's actually quite fascinating. This is a culturally very significant moment. This is basically the official changing of the guard. Grime has now been consumed by the larger UK rap, and by extension hip-hop, scene. We've got 2 artists going at it in grime, but most grime fans are actually hip-hop fans these days, so it's being judged by hip-hop standards for the majority. And that trend is only going to grow and continue the larger and more international any uk scene grows. And now proper grime will just be some niche for old cunts like me and musical anoraks. And what is known as grime by many and by general consensus will be to others (or some very passionate fans) what brostep is to dubstep. I.e. it's fairly anal in the eyes of the layman to separate the 2, but if you really are passionate about a specific genre, there are key differences that make one enjoyable more than the other.

Stormzy is making tunes for listeners, for your car, for a concert, for the hip-hop connoisseurs. Yeah he's putting out stuff on grime beats sometimes, and with a grime flow. But there's an emphasis on content and lyricism and polish and albums and videos and just general technicality and professionalism and image that's to be digested critically and pontificated.

Wiley, and traditional grime, is putting out stuff that does some of that, but is really about fucking up the dance and just pure gas.

That's the difference really. And that's the new grime.

Having said that, if it is hip-hop standards, then stormzy's are just not true.

forclosure

That post speaks the truth but in all honestly i accepted long ago that Wileys not gonna put out another dub like Nightbus or whatever his dubs are fine but that scorched earth approach in his best shit isnt there. But yeah its true it is more so being judged and by hip hop standards which worked to Stormzys advantage because well my man was making road rap tracks BEFORE he went to grime so all that is in there add to that well the pivot to rap from dance and well where Wileys coming from and bobs your uncle. Its funny cause i feel like this is what man in the grime scene wanted and its here now so all the awkwardness of it is spilling out.

Its funny cause well from American perspectives they always just understood grime as "hip hop but faster with english accents" but now all of that is seeping through and yeah the audience for people who want sets and raves rather than albums and concerts is getting niche.

also as far as Dot Rotten is concerned hes only become sort of a weird minor figure in part because he started all of this mess but got overtaken by the "bigger" figures in the room to think this all started with him putting a dub out for some middling rapper Jay1 because its Dot and he only decides to come back to music when he has some kind of score to settle and then he put out a stream of tracks that aswell as getting at Wiley also went at BBK the quality of em varies.

But my man put his album out and hes now dedicating himself to putting out a track a day on his youtube for the year

forclosure

Would also explains why there seems to be this emphasis now on making videos for war dubs which is stupid in my eyes but there you go. Also why i think the grime MCs who sound best on drill beats are the ones who were already pivoting or were influenced by rap to start with (RA,President T, Bloodline in general)

Personally i always thought Chip was a middling MC if you told me in like 06/07 even as a North London man he would be the guy to be a big commercial success alongside Tinie i wouldnt have believed you.

and yeah Cadell"s great hes been good,i remember hearing him on sets on Radar and one or two of the albums he put out

Last edited:

luka

There were two things in particular that made me think I'm never coming back to dissensus ever again. One was Mr. Tea using the word 'twaddle' the other was Corpsey saying Stormzy definitely 'won'.

luka

Especially as no one policed these outbreaks of disorder. They passed without comment.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah wiley just seeking publicity. grime was consumed by rap values a long time ago though, this is nothing new. it's why hearing hitman etc come back last year was so fucking awful. the adaptation has been beyond cringe.

Would almost pay to see Wiley anxiously chicken out of this.