Essential Directors

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sorry for lack of replies, been busy. But good suggestions and thoughts thanks, keep 'em coming.
Yeah Bresson is a good one. I find him quite an unusual director, reminds me of some of those early Fassbinder ones with that kind of naturalistic anti-acting. Money is my favourite of the ones I've seen but I don't remember any of them that well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hawks might take a bit longer... hmmm. When people talk about the time-barrier I think that sort of applies to me with silent films. Or at least I think I think it does, turns out when I actually watch them (the good ones) I normally do enjoy them. Actually that could be a thread in itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To go back to some of the points above. Yeah I think you're right Craner... ideally the director I pick would have some kind of developing (or possibly radically changing) aesthetic. I mean, if they just made loads of good films then I wouldn't call it a waste of time, but it would slightly less satisfying. I guess even if they made a load of bad films then I would learn something too but that's not what I'm specifically looking for.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm also thinking Bela Tarr (thanks Droid), was in a bar at 7am Saturday morning talking to a guy who was very passionate about The Turin Horse and he really made me want to check it out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... so far, this is what I'm thinking.

John Cassavetes
Bela Tarr
Robert Bresson

To start with. Now gotta persuade girlfriend and find the time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
re The Leopard (mentioned above), i really have a problem with that in that you can only watch it dubbed, either with Lancaster dubbed into Italian, or the rest of the cast dubbed into English, isn't that a bit weird?

craner

Beast of Burden
re The Leopard (mentioned above), i really have a problem with that in that you can only watch it dubbed, either with Lancaster dubbed into Italian, or the rest of the cast dubbed into English, isn't that a bit weird?

I have exactly the same issue with David Hemmings and Profondo Rosso.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i keep meaning to do a Bergman binge, as i don't know anything about him other than the Seventh Seal. and I've been meaning to watch Persona for ages since i read something about it being like Mullholland Drive. trouble is my attention span is shot to pieces, and i get the feeling it will be hard work

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe so... Persona is definitely worth seeing, Hour of the Wolf, Fanny and Alexander (though that is looong). I've never seen Wild Strawberries though weirdly enough.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wild Strawberries is my favourite film.

Bergman has this forbidding reputation and obviously his films can be very bleak, but they're usually always quite funny, too.