Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silent Films - do we watch them?

Yeah it really is. I suppose that's the premise of Singing in the Rain isn't it? Silent star can't make it when the talkies come in so they have to dub over her with an unknown. I'm sure that is based on actuality, the game changed suddenly and not everyone could adapt to the new skill requirements.
    But what you said above is exactly my feeling - I find them off-putting but when I actually watch them I enjoy them a lot. I suspect partly cos the ones that we tend to watch are the ones that have filtered down for close on a hundred years, they are the best of the crop. Absolutely the elite. How many people will be watching Joker in 2120? There must have been loads of silent stinkers (silent but violent if you like) that sank without trace and so we get a biased view of how good cinema was then.

Those stunts are ludicrous, Jackie Chan would think twice about attempting that first one.

Yeah, when I think of silent films, it''s all stuff like Keaton, Metropolis, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari etc. The cream of the crop.

I'd like to read the book being discussed here.

I will check that out in a sec, thanks.