Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veggie Burgers

beef is the only meat i don't eat

Gandhi kicked the British out of India on a vegetarian diet so I don't think it's really going to do you any harm let's be realistic

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    It's a new spiritual movement. Belief is involved.
    This is silly.

No, it's recently become a protected characteristic. So you can be prosecuted for hate crime if you discriminate against vegans. Basically on a level with race, gender, sexuality etc. But of all these, the one it resembles most closely is religion because of the act of conscience

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...laws-37rtf3bbd

It is easier to be a vegan or vegetarian on the Indian subcontinent, that's a fact. Cos more diverse vegetables have grown there for longer

Gandhi ate meat briefly for a while when he was a kid, cos a mate of his told him that it was the difference between Indians and sahibs. And that if Indians started eating meat, they would be able to defeat them. Then he felt bad and wrote a letter to his dad telling him what he did, asking for punishment.

I had a veggie burger recently in a restaurant I'd ended up in late night. The veggie people I was with loved it but the man thing that came over to me was how full of salt it was, no doubt to enhance flavour 'cos it'd taste like shit otherwise. It was seitan - main thing that occurs to me re. this stuff and other substitutes is how unatrual it is, and with soy/tofu also a product of industrial monoculture. I think I'm right in saying that there are no vegan diets occurring amongst indigenous peoples i.e. its very much a product of the industrialised world? Ethically obvs, it's the bomb but.....I have more time for vegetarian cuisines made from yer actual vegetables.

Yeah i mean our teeth tell us that right. Weve got teeth to eat meat. We just eat way too much. Should be once a month ritual thing, payday only. Full pig at a wedding.

What about deep soy conspiracy theory? ie that soy is being produced in big quantities now and it contains alot of estrogen so its having an overall feminising effect.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    .I have more time for vegetarian cuisines made from yer actual vegetables.
    100%

vegetarian restaurants also often use a fair amount of garlic to enhance flavor. not a problem for me but I know vegetarians who are intolerant or allergic, so pretty much rules out Indian and Korean.
    Last edited by Leo; 17-01-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Dear God
    It's me, Margaret
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    100%

vegetarian restaurants also often use a fair amount of garlic to enhance flavor. not a problem for me but I know vegetarians who are intolerant or allergic, so pretty much rules out Indian and Korean.
    Lots of Indians don't eat garlic at all.

Asafoetida gets used instead.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    What about deep soy conspiracy theory? ie that soy is being produced in big quantities now and it contains alot of estrogen so its having an overall feminising effect.
    There's an article on the front page of the 'science' subreddit atm about how soybean oil apparently causes obesity, diabetes and neurological changes in mice and that's it's the most widely-used oil in America.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Asafoetida gets used instead.
    an Indian friend who's allergic said his mom used shallots as an alternative.

indian restaurants here are usually fairly heavy on the garlic, tho.