Veggie Burgers

luka

100%

vegetarian restaurants also often use a fair amount of garlic to enhance flavor. not a problem for me but I know vegetarians who are intolerant or allergic, so pretty much rules out Indian and Korean.

Lots of Indians don't eat garlic at all.

version

What about deep soy conspiracy theory? ie that soy is being produced in big quantities now and it contains alot of estrogen so its having an overall feminising effect.

There's an article on the front page of the 'science' subreddit atm about how soybean oil apparently causes obesity, diabetes and neurological changes in mice and that's it's the most widely-used oil in America.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read this article about this Korean (I think) chef who cooks for this monastery somewhere on an isolated mountainside and all these world famous chefs go on pilgrimages there cos she's so amazing. All vegetarian but no garlic or onion cos she believes it inflames the senses or some bullshit. Almost all the flavour came from fermenting as far as I could tell, the whole place was full of massive vats of things fermenting - this one is five years old, that one is seven year and so on. Interesting I guess but the food didn't sound that exciting to me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
On the no garlic no onions thing, I knew about the Jain prohibition on it, but guess it's much wider than that too. I like no allium currieswith spices and meat cooked in yoghurt etc, which I understand is a himalayan thing, but not sure how to cope without garlic in veggie cooking.

sus

You know, my partner Nico prefers the Impossible/Beyond burgers to normal meat, I think the BurgerKing versions are hit-or-miss, I've had some really good ones there and some really cardboardy ones, depending on how they were cooked, but

It really is so much easier to be veggie than it once was. I've been a veggie since age 9, I was in mesoamerica and we went to a little soda (outdoor restaurant) and I ordered chicken tendies, just like back in the states, and they picked up one of the chickens walkin around the yard, took him to a tree trunk for beheading on the side of the soda

Well, young Spendy put 2+2 together then and there. Talk about performative utterance: my order, my words, took a life. A life! Well

sus

I believe I there and then started a new religion, Earthism, and spent some afternoons writing the Wiki article for it. Had a diagram I made in MSPaint, a big triangle, earth/animals/humans or something, and then started getting in fights with moderators who deleted the page

One of them was british, and spelled it "encyclopaedia," and of course 9y/o me shot back in an angry email, "At least I know how to spell encyclopedia!"

Early interactions with the Brits, shortly before my IP was banned

sus

Anyway, it was a bit rough in the olden days, the fake meat options... not so good. Nowadays, I think Morningstar sausage patties, the Beyond/Impossible patties, any of the soy chicken tendies, all really kill it. Some of the bratwurst imitations, or bacon imitations fall short... the beef crumbles are hit-or-miss depending on company, some are rubbery and tasteless, some are spicy and incredible. Dunkin' has fake meat, BK obviously, I can go to Chipotle and they have their trademark sofritas, which are great

Leo

Beyond's brat sausage is good, Morningstar's bacon is like salty cardboard.

The only problem with this stuff is it's highly processed food. better to stop trying to reinvent meat and just eat fresh vegetables and pasta.

Reactions: sus

sus

Why is "processed" a problem? I mean, bread is "processed," wheat is "processed." Everything's "processed." What does it even mean? Why is it bad?

Leo

depends on the food and degree of processing. a can of tomatoes for cooking is fine. highly processed foods are usually loaded with sodium for shelf stabilization, sugar for taste, added fats, including saturated and trans fats, for mouth feel, and preservatives. all these are linked to chronic health problems, including obesity, heart disease, diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and some types of cancer.