Veggie Burgers

Leo

Burger King BK veggie ingredients:

BURGER PATTY: Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources(????), Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. lettuce, tomato, onion.

martin

----
Bit like vinyl LPs with download codes. I really can't see the point of 'fake meat'.

The BK Spicy Beanburger was cheap and lush, I spent six months just living on that and Guinness...why ditch the classics?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is it one or the other though? Once you've got the Rebel Whopper then the Spicy Beanburger must be cast aside on to the rubbish heap like Superted?

nochexxx

harco pronting
not a veggie burger, but this company Memphis Meats has worked out a way to clone meat. i've been waiting for it to become commercially available, no idea how well it's doing in the US? seems to have quietened down since i first came across them, which feels like at least 5 years ago now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Shocked at how much vitamin c they have! Veganism is the new religion right

Only one of them. It probably contains crushed-up Berocca

Whether veggie burgers are full of shit or not, eating beef regularly is a climate disaster

Last edited:

luka

Gandhi kicked the British out of India on a vegetarian diet so I don't think it's really going to do you any harm let's be realistic

catalog

It is easier to be a vegan or vegetarian on the Indian subcontinent, that's a fact. Cos more diverse vegetables have grown there for longer

catalog

Gandhi ate meat briefly for a while when he was a kid, cos a mate of his told him that it was the difference between Indians and sahibs. And that if Indians started eating meat, they would be able to defeat them. Then he felt bad and wrote a letter to his dad telling him what he did, asking for punishment.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I had a veggie burger recently in a restaurant I'd ended up in late night. The veggie people I was with loved it but the man thing that came over to me was how full of salt it was, no doubt to enhance flavour 'cos it'd taste like shit otherwise. It was seitan - main thing that occurs to me re. this stuff and other substitutes is how unatrual it is, and with soy/tofu also a product of industrial monoculture. I think I'm right in saying that there are no vegan diets occurring amongst indigenous peoples i.e. its very much a product of the industrialised world? Ethically obvs, it's the bomb but.....I have more time for vegetarian cuisines made from yer actual vegetables.

catalog

Yeah i mean our teeth tell us that right. Weve got teeth to eat meat. We just eat way too much. Should be once a month ritual thing, payday only. Full pig at a wedding.

What about deep soy conspiracy theory? ie that soy is being produced in big quantities now and it contains alot of estrogen so its having an overall feminising effect.

Leo

.I have more time for vegetarian cuisines made from yer actual vegetables.

100%

vegetarian restaurants also often use a fair amount of garlic to enhance flavor. not a problem for me but I know vegetarians who are intolerant or allergic, so pretty much rules out Indian and Korean.

Last edited: