What's in a name?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You're right mvuent

It's what we would do

And if it was up to ppl like us, would jungle or garage or grime exist?

sure, it would just sound like broken beat trance with 3 minute synthesised Bach solos. and then a little 1 minute rap section and then back into some synthesised bach solos.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the middle class self-loathing on this place gets me enraged sometimes. who cares? noone is pure prole are they, much less in a scene like jungle which was sampladelic and nerdy to the extreme, making 4 track tape recorders and sampler doing things they weren't even supposed to do. it's not as if techstep kick started the nerdiness, that geekery was there in amen rinseouts. idprole/noble salt of the earth is so cringe. what made techstep so regimented, as I've previously said, was dnb going nationwide. if you look at rave reviews/discogs reviews in early 94 too many people were moaning that everything went too dark (and too funky.) the only way dnb was ever going to get big was by cribbing tips off happy hardcore, but without ever fully going there. Like it or not, 'rave nostalgia/rave ideology' was a predominantly white thing that had little to do with London.

94 tech itch

and:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's actually quite interesting when you start scrutinising this stuff.

I tend not to pay any attention to artist names (or track names) as being indicative of anything.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's actually quite interesting when you start scrutinising this stuff.

I tend not to pay any attention to artist names (or track names) as being indicative of anything.

absolutely. compare with a happy tune from the same era.

that's 94 rave proper.

compare with the much nerdier surveillance title:

droid

The 'real name' DJ is a more depressing phenomenon. There are some notable exceptions but it was traditionally the preserve of house DJs and the attendant dearth of imagination in the genre. I never liked it back in the day but its endemic now.

Business card DJs.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The 'real name' DJ is a more depressing phenomenon. There are some notable exceptions but it was traditionally the preserve of house DJs and the attendant dearth of imagination in the genre. I never liked it back in the day but its endemic now.

Business card DJs.

Just had a thought:

I wonder if the "woke" thing in certain genres makes revealing your real name a political decision?

Like if your name is John Smith (I KNOW THIS IS A BEER I CAN'T THINK OF A MORE TYPICAL WHITE BRITISH NAME) you're practically calling yourself Mr. Average White Male.

Even worse if your name is Julian Fortisque-Reese-Mogg-the-third.

Whereas other real names are actually a positive boon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also you might just have a shit name.

Like Carl Cox, e.g. has a real name that sounds like a DJ name.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Business card DJs.

Seems a huge jump you're making there. Surrender to the thud of the disco beat droid, we're all gay here! :D ❌ ❌

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
the middle class self-loathing on this place gets me enraged sometimes. who cares? noone is pure prole are they, much less in a scene like jungle which was sampladelic and nerdy to the extreme, making 4 track tape recorders and sampler doing things they weren't even supposed to do. it's not as if techstep kick started the nerdiness, that geekery was there in amen rinseouts. idprole/noble salt of the earth is so cringe. what made techstep so regimented, as I've previously said, was dnb going nationwide. if you look at rave reviews/discogs reviews in early 94 too many people were moaning that everything went too dark (and too funky.) the only way dnb was ever going to get big was by cribbing tips off happy hardcore, but without ever fully going there. Like it or not, 'rave nostalgia/rave ideology' was a predominantly white thing that had little to do with London.

true. the indie kid mindset is a real thing, though. worth discussing at times i think.

droid

Seems a huge jump you're making there. Surrender to the thud of the disco beat droid, we're all gay here! :D ❌ ❌

lol. When I said 'house' I meant the post shoom variety, though I guess the lineage of the trend probably goes back to the garage days.

Best DJ name ever was a mate of Napthas I knew, a hardcore DJ from Kilkenny. DJ Deck Junkie - aka DJ DJ.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lol. When I said 'house' I meant the post shoom variety, though I guess the lineage of the trend probably goes back to the garage days.

Best DJ name ever was a mate of Napthas I knew, a hardcore DJ from Kilkenny. DJ Deck Junkie - aka DJ DJ.

only Chelski boys with their John Terry hard on went to shoom. everyone knows the real house/garage heads were arsenal fans. Exhibit A) George Power - who eventually went onto found nice n ripe records.