ἦθος ἀνθρώπῳ δαίμων (Character is destiny)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the questions don't make sense to me.

take the first. "start a conversation with a stranger". some days this would be the last thing i wanted to do but other days it's the most fun thing there is. this goes for all of the questions really.

Your score is 3

mvuent

Void Dweller
tbf i've never met anyone who would readily self-identify as an extrovert. everyone seems to think they're an introvert.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Brain scans reveal that self-identified extraverts experience greater pleasure from successfully pursuing rewards. The pleasure centres in their brain are more active than those of people low in extraversion. They feel better when they win a bet, for example.

It isn't really extraversion in the sense that Jung described it - and its opposite isn't even really introversion.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
tbf i've never met anyone who would readily self-identify as an extrovert. everyone seems to think they're an introvert.

I think there's a sort of implicit insult in being called an extrovert, in that traditional way of understanding it.

It's like saying 'you're too dumb to live inside your head'.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I think there's a sort of implicit insult in being called an extrovert, in that traditional way of understanding it.

It's like saying 'you're too dumb to live inside your head'.

yeah, for sure. which is interesting since, by conventional wisdom, being very outgoing is generally "normal" and socially advantageous. maybe it's a classic case where no one wants to admit to being "advantaged" in some way? i.e. by identifying yourself as an extrovert there's the sense, on some level, that you'd be attributing all your social success to dumb genetic luck.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also it's based on this idea that you're either self directed or world directed. Of course everyone is somewhat self directed, so how could you not be an introvert?

I wonder if these tests work better with people who are more extreme because those people are more aware of their traits, or if some people are simply more "average" across the board? There must be people who are not particularly strongly inclined, one way or the other. Quite a lot of people in fact.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose there's a personality type that's more likely to be interested in taking these tests and more likely to accept the results as meaningful.

My personality type.

Highly neurotic - anxious about their personality, anxious about their anxiety, depressed about their depression. Perhaps this test will help. Why is it other people are so confident and energetic? Perhaps this test will help.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Highly agreeable too - more trusting, more gullible, more likely to concede to an opponent in an argument.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So as you see, ladies and gentlemen, a highly neurotic person who was low in agreeableness would be unlikely to accept the results of the test if it contradicted their own view of themselves, and if they were REALLY low in agreeableness they might disagree on general principle

catalog

I do think of myself as being disagreeable. I mean, I'm very suspicious of things if other people like them.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
what is the psychology behind the question do you use difficult words?

corpsey, can you write down some words and post a picture of it here? i want to analyse your hand writing, test something.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm working late atm but I certainly will. I have small, crabbed handwriting, like a serial killer.

I'll have to look up why that long words thing is important, too. Maybe an indicator of openness?

Openness is based on the extent of associations you naturally make between disparate things. Maybe I've got that wrong - it's to do with associations, though. How many other words you think of when you think of one word, and how disparate those words are.

Supposedly it correlates to your interest in the arts, and creative ability. There's also something here about the propensity of artistic people to go mad, and the crossover sometimes observed between schizophrenia and artistic genius.*

* I should properly say here between schizophrenia and artistic leanings. I'm sure there are plenty of schizophrenic artists who are sadly no Van Goghs.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To be a successful artist, however, you would do well to also be gifted with high conscientiousness (the ability to inhibit short-term desires for the sake of long-term desires) and presumably also high extraversion (a higher-than-average response to rewards).

And that's not even bringing talent into it!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"One of Heraclitus’s most memorable statements was “ethos anthropos daimon“, which roughly translates as “character is fate” (or “character is destiny”). The word “ethos,” translated as “character,” is also our word “ethic.” The word “anthropos” is our word for human being or “man.” The word “daimon” is the source for our word “demon,” but actually translates as “fate,” but also has the meaning “messenger”. Socrates, for example, famously had his “daimon” who advised him against foolish action (but never commended wise ones). Ironically, in Latin the corresponding word to “daimon” is “angelus.”"

Interesting, this must be where Pullman got the idea?

mvuent

Void Dweller
To be a successful artist, however, you would do well to also be gifted with high conscientiousness (the ability to inhibit short-term desires for the sake of long-term desires) and presumably also high extraversion (a higher-than-average response to rewards).

And that's not even bringing talent into it!
i do wonder how many people's artistic endeavors are thwarted by low conscientiousness. surely a lot. but maybe that's straying into the territory of self help rhetoric.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I bet you do use difficult words you just don't think they're difficult.

"People high in openness may be more motivated to engage in intellectual pursuits that increase their knowledge.[21] Openness to experience, especially the Ideas facet, is related to need for cognition,[22] a motivational tendency to think about ideas, scrutinize information, and enjoy solving puzzles, and to typical intellectual engagement[23] (a similar construct to need for cognition).[24]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openness_to_experience

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Interesting tidbit I came across in that wiki ("openness to experience")

In regards to conservatism, studies have found that cultural conservatism was related to low openness and all its facets, but economic conservatism was unrelated to total openness, and only weakly negatively related to the Aesthetics and values facets.[38] The strongest personality predictor of economic conservatism was low agreeableness (r= -.23). Economic conservatism is based more on ideology whereas cultural conservatism seems to be more psychological than ideological and may reflect a preference for simple, stable and familiar mores.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saying that it does seem rather prejudiced in favour of language. Has me wondering if there are examples of painters and musicians, e.g., who have limited vocabularies. Surely a great many.