Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ἦθος ἀνθρώπῳ δαίμων (Character is destiny)

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    no one else is going to do this huh
    the questions don't make sense to me.

take the first. "start a conversation with a stranger". some days this would be the last thing i wanted to do but other days it's the most fun thing there is. this goes for all of the questions really.

Yeah I agree with that. This is basically Meyers Briggs right? Jungian archetypes simplified? We have friends who love it and keep trying to get us to do the tests as well. I guess whatever floats your boat but I'm not into it.

My myers briggs type is INFP and like so many people say, the personality profile you get is uncanny in its accuracy.

The 2nd link in droids post on pg. 1 is a nice version with good breakdowns.
    cheep cheep

Fuck knows, maybe I should try it and it will change my life. Just feels a bit wrong.

I like how it's a bit like Twitter or a pyramid selling scheme in that it works better if you convince everyone else to do it

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    the questions don't make sense to me.

take the first. "start a conversation with a stranger". some days this would be the last thing i wanted to do but other days it's the most fun thing there is. this goes for all of the questions really.
    Your score is 3

tbf i've never met anyone who would readily self-identify as an extrovert. everyone seems to think they're an introvert.

Brain scans reveal that self-identified extraverts experience greater pleasure from successfully pursuing rewards. The pleasure centres in their brain are more active than those of people low in extraversion. They feel better when they win a bet, for example.

It isn't really extraversion in the sense that Jung described it - and its opposite isn't even really introversion.

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    tbf i've never met anyone who would readily self-identify as an extrovert. everyone seems to think they're an introvert.
    I think there's a sort of implicit insult in being called an extrovert, in that traditional way of understanding it.

It's like saying 'you're too dumb to live inside your head'.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I think there's a sort of implicit insult in being called an extrovert, in that traditional way of understanding it.

It's like saying 'you're too dumb to live inside your head'.
    yeah, for sure. which is interesting since, by conventional wisdom, being very outgoing is generally "normal" and socially advantageous. maybe it's a classic case where no one wants to admit to being "advantaged" in some way? i.e. by identifying yourself as an extrovert there's the sense, on some level, that you'd be attributing all your social success to dumb genetic luck.
    Last edited by mvuent; 16-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Also it's based on this idea that you're either self directed or world directed. Of course everyone is somewhat self directed, so how could you not be an introvert?

I wonder if these tests work better with people who are more extreme because those people are more aware of their traits, or if some people are simply more "average" across the board? There must be people who are not particularly strongly inclined, one way or the other. Quite a lot of people in fact.

I suppose there's a personality type that's more likely to be interested in taking these tests and more likely to accept the results as meaningful.

My personality type.

Highly neurotic - anxious about their personality, anxious about their anxiety, depressed about their depression. Perhaps this test will help. Why is it other people are so confident and energetic? Perhaps this test will help.

Highly agreeable too - more trusting, more gullible, more likely to concede to an opponent in an argument.

So as you see, ladies and gentlemen, a highly neurotic person who was low in agreeableness would be unlikely to accept the results of the test if it contradicted their own view of themselves, and if they were REALLY low in agreeableness they might disagree on general principle

I do think of myself as being disagreeable. I mean, I'm very suspicious of things if other people like them.