ἦθος ἀνθρώπῳ δαίμων (Character is destiny)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
ἦθος ἀνθρώπῳ δαίμων (Character is destiny)

Who are you?

This book has been very eye-opening for me. I read it about a year ago, and I'm re-reading at the moment.

It's helped me to understand myself and other people.

The basis (it sounds obvious) thesis is that we all have different brains and experience the world very differently at a base level.

Personality tests seem like hooey - but this one has neuroscientific evidence to back it up.

You don't have to read it, though you can read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

800px-Wiki-grafik_peats-de_big_five_ENG.png

Big-Five-Framework-of-Personality-Traits.png

Take the test here:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/07/personality-test

I actually want to make everyone I know take the test so I know exactly who I'm dealing with.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
HOW RUDE OF ME

My results

EXTRAVERSION: LOW
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS: LOW
OPENNESS: HIGH
AGREEABLENESS: MEDIUM-HIGH
NEUROTICISM: HIGH

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Here's my guess for LUKA

EXTRAVERSION: MEDIUM-HIGH
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS: MEDIUM-HIGH
OPENNESS: HIGH AS A FUCKING KITE
AGREEABLENESS: LOW-MEDIUM
NEUROTICISM: LOW-MEDIUM

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When you fail again and again to achieve something you'd like to achieve, often (not always) you're bumping up against the limitations of your character, the invisible forcefield of your neurology - or should that be, you're experiencing the gravitational pull of your character - it is possible to break free of it and ascend into orbit, but fucking hard

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
ofc it is much more complicated than this in that you can act "out of character" in all sorts of situations.

But the baseline is there, set in your skull - as surely as your shoe size

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think a lot of people will actually hate this idea - they like to believe their character is self-determined, or constrained by context (they'd be a different person if they were living in Bermuda), and malleable.

It appeals to me, precisely because I'm so pessimistic and deterministic - and unhappy with my character. It at least makes it more fathomable, and less something that you blame yourself for, more something you're aware of as determining how you can/should approach life.

mvuent

Void Dweller
EXTRAVERSION: low
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS: low medium
OPENNESS: high
AGREEABLENESS: high
NEUROTICISM: medium high

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was just trying to bait Luka with that tbh and now I'm worried I've been offensive.

(Neuroticism/Agreeableness kicking in hard.)

For the record I absolutely envy Luke's personality - and beard.

craner

Beast of Burden
I had to do the Driver's Questionnaire in work the other day, which is supposed to tell you which of these drivers drives you:

Be Perfect
Be Strong
Hurry Up
Please Others
Try Hard

Has anyone else done this?

mvuent

Void Dweller
I think a lot of people will actually hate this idea - they like to believe their character is self-determined, or constrained by context (they'd be a different person if they were living in Bermuda), and malleable.

It appeals to me, precisely because I'm so pessimistic and deterministic - and unhappy with my character. It at least makes it more fathomable, and less something that you blame yourself for, more something you're aware of as determining how you can/should approach life.

On the other hand I do wonder sometimes if having an overly deterministic outlook has a negative affect on my life. Determinism might be true, but maybe thinking it's not is more conductive for self improvement, etc.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
no one else is going to do this huh

the questions don't make sense to me.

take the first. "start a conversation with a stranger". some days this would be the last thing i wanted to do but other days it's the most fun thing there is. this goes for all of the questions really.

catalog

Yeah I agree with that. This is basically Meyers Briggs right? Jungian archetypes simplified? We have friends who love it and keep trying to get us to do the tests as well. I guess whatever floats your boat but I'm not into it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
My myers briggs type is INFP and like so many people say, the personality profile you get is uncanny in its accuracy.

The 2nd link in droids post on pg. 1 is a nice version with good breakdowns.

catalog

I like how it's a bit like Twitter or a pyramid selling scheme in that it works better if you convince everyone else to do it