Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Simon Reynolds K-Punk Memorial Lecture

The Scarlet Pimpernel. The Sniper. The Masked Avenger.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Hey, man, you don't talk to the Beagle. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "33 pages and no Craner? Waste thread"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
    Last edited by mvuent; 21-01-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The enclosed space, like the magicianís circle, is a given. Within the circle the magician is protected. The demon is safely contained. The therapistís room, like the magicianís circle is a special kind of space. The rules are suspended. Reality is more malleable there, and experiments can be made in relative safety. Old habits are sloughed off, new selves are tried on for size, like costumes plucked from the dressing up box.

This is the frame. The bubble. It is unimportant whether the frame is formally demarcated but it is must be there, at least implicitly. By sealing off the outside world, what is formed is analogous to the bubble universes of speculative physics. Ideally, what happens in the bubble universe allows the client to be stronger, wiser, kinder and more contented on returning to the wider world.
    It's an extension of this famous principle

"the door to the teenage bedroom is always closed as it is the first space we learn to expand into. within those limits we extend consciousness beyond the skull walls. it is a training programme."

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Hey Thirdform.

Shut the fuck up you annoying cunt.
    Asif! how are things bro! long time no see

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

I would almost like to psychoanalyse you Third. on the basis of your resolute hostility towards any of the positive manifestations of rave culture. You seem determined to boot the fading neon glimmers of peace and love out of the decaying corpse of rave culture. Why is this? Moreover, does it say anything about you? Open question but the orientation of my training and thinking mean that I very much associate stances taken with the person.

I don't object hugely and don't have a dog in the fight re. TAZs but these things were absolutely part of the discourse and lived experience at the time. There was a direct crossover for me from being aware of books like "Gateway of the Heart" and MDMA therapy and the exhilaration experienced taking MD for the first time. This was part of the cultural conversation, it provided some of the energy which drove the culture. It's ahistorical to say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I would almost like to psychoanalyse you Third. on the basis of your resolute hostility towards any of the positive manifestations of rave culture. You seem determined to boot the fading neon glimmers of peace and love out of the decaying corpse of rave culture. Why is this? Moreover, does it say anything about you? Open question but the orientation of my training and thinking mean that I very much associate stances taken with the person.

I don't object hugely and don't have a dog in the fight re. TAZs but these things were absolutely part of the discourse and lived experience at the time. There was a direct crossover for me from being aware of books like "Gateway of the Heart" and MDMA therapy and the exhilaration experienced taking MD for the first time. This was part of the cultural conversation, it provided some of the energy which drove the culture. It's ahistorical to say otherwise.
    im not against people having a good time but it's been beaten into the ground hasn't it? 87 ibiza boys, Chelsea knobs, (they are still no match for our ailing team) primal scream, BBC 6 music. peace and love is a church now, just like rock and roll. and every church has its ahistorical cannon. for instance noone talks about Dungeons on Holloway road between 89-91, even though in retrospect that was probably one of the most important venues for the coalescing of the hardcore continuum. all the junglists got their breakthrough there, not in the west end! it's a bit weird to think that there wasn't a racial/class division in london clubbing, even in acid house times. it's so convenient to be like MDMA ended football hooliganism but we know the real reason was police getting better at crowd control. and now we can't even stand at games, let alone afford them!
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists