Roger Robinson 'A Portable Paradise'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I saw that this won the TS Eliot prize and it looked interesting, so I bought it.

I quite like it. I'm not sure how good it is but it has some powerful images in it and it's coming from a very different perspective to any poetry I've read before.

For those that don't know: born in Hackney, lived in Trinidad until he was 19, and is a dub poet and the lead singer of King Midas Sound.

The collection is largely about Grenfell.

https://www.peepaltreepress.com/books/portable-paradise

Wondering if anybody else has read it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If you're in a bookshop today pick it up and have a glance through.

It's the only contemporary poetry I've ever read, let alone bought.

luka

I looked at a couple of poems online and it doesn't meet my standards. It's school homework level.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know what you mean, though.

The language doesn't seem particularly intensely charged a lot of the time.

Often I am stuck wondering why this is a poem and not prose.

Last edited:

luka

It is prose. Look also at the way adjectives are yoked to nouns and how rote it is.

luka

It's instructive to look at bad writing like this to get a clearer idea of what good writing might look like.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think it's bad writing, but some of it seems like prose that's been formatted to look like poetry.

luka

It's bad writing. Its hokey. It's dull. It's flat. It's banal. It's stuffed full of cliches.

luka

Well what do you want me to say? I don't have the book do i? Photograph a page or two and we can analyse it as a class

luka

Sneaker Pimps. Attica Blues. Morcheeba. Smith and Mighty. Jazzanova. Lamb. Howie B.