Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... or Liquid Swords?

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Liquid Swords

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

version

this bloke right behind me who kept laughing deliberately loud at any slightly funny bit to let his date know how above it all he was. Laughing especially at any of the sex parts because of how much better at sex he is than fat adam sandler fucking idiot .

Sounds like the same bloke who bullied Craner for reading Manuel DeLanda on the train.

version

luka

But that's exactly what's so great about it!

I have to say, I found it immediate. I listened to 'Glacier of Ice' about 10 times straight before I even got to the following tracks.

Westwood got hold of glaciers of ice first and the first time I played it I knew rap music had been taken into a new dimension I'd taped the show and kept replaying that song. Totally instant love at first listen. Then he got hold of Wu Gambinos and that blew my mind maybe even more couldn't believe how good.

version

Weird hearing anyone else over that beat - even if it is some sort of remix. The vibe's completely different. Triumphant, belligerent.

kumar

Glaciers of ice is unbelievably good. The custom timberlands 101 seminar, that slight key change every few bars that suddenly lets all this melancholy energy flood in for a second, the female vocal sample fucking hell its spine tingling, sounds so unnatural and recorded at first, like a canned siren, and somehow turns into this impossible ice queen oscillator test cry that bursts out of the sampler and overstays it’s welcome drowning out the hook

luka

Grrr. This should be a public vote I don't trust it. Russians. Cambridge analytica. Facebook ads.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Westwood got hold of glaciers of ice first and the first time I played it I knew rap music had been taken into a new dimension I'd taped the show and kept replaying that song. Totally instant love at first listen. Then he got hold of Wu Gambinos and that blew my mind maybe even more couldn't believe how good.

totally agree, production on Cuban Linx pisses over Liquid Swords as well, which, let's be honest, is a bit bohemian normie isn't it?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
LS isn't even that distressing. it's not that cold at all, not until you've heard extinction agenda where it all seems to be caving into itself. chess is kinda overrated in 2020, but even then you got 36 chambers which pisses all over LS.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not surprised Droid and Danny L go for LS though, there's a much dreamier (a dark dream but still dreamier) quality to it which works at a remove from NYC or London, in our case. the melodrama, mafia dialogues and strings are part of OB4C's charm. obviously if that formula kept being aped today it would be cringe, but it is very well executed in that instance.

And realness was dead with NWA and Geto Boys, surely? part of what was so transformative about jungle was a sonic realness as opposed to lyrical one.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
36 Chambers is '93
Swords is '94
Cuban Linx is '95

Well 93 is just the best year for everything. You got enta da stage, all the hard acid coming out of cologne, the midwest and the hague, General Degree and Buju on a role, hardcore getting rid of the boring lightweights and exercising its fourth dimensional potential, first black dog album, (sure there's an rnb record I'm missing but can't think of it.)