The BBC

version

They're getting it from all sides these days. What do you think of them really? Where do you stand on the license fee? How much trust do you place in the organisation? Are they one of your regular news sources?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
If we're talking news, little to no trust at all. They make good-excellent programmes of other kinds though, so I don't object to the licence fee that strongly, even tho I'm only an occasional iplayer watcher.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
More bad than good, but the good can be exceptional. Forget the news (they're unarguably on team establishment) but when it comes to documentaries, arts & culture they seem to have some rebels in their midst. Still kind of confusing after all these years how it became the home of Adam Curtis.

luka

Mark Fisher used to advocate Terminating the BBC. I think he made a point of reading The Times over the Guardian too.

luka

Condescending sanctimonious smug taking care to say all the right things but without it really having any basis in reality insulated from reality in the way Corpsey was describing when he said he went to an Asda for the first time the other day and was horrified by all the poor people.

luka

this distaste for the left in whichever of its forms or tribes or whatever is usually the starting point of a reactionary turn. You have to be very careful. They are disgusting and stupid but obsessing about how disgusting and stupid they are is always a danger sign in my experience, a well trodden path to becoming a textbook reactionary.

luka

It's just a set of principles and an orientation of the heart I don't have to like the people involved it's not relevant

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Agreed with this - getting on with other people is fraught with perils, and shouldn't be used as a basis for political affiliation.

And the Guardian readership is a pretty broad church in the internet age, don't feel the stereotype holds much water any longer.

I grew up in a household where the Times was the default paper, and I don't think it's scarred me that much. I thought their investigative journalism (Sunday Times) could be pretty good, so I guess that stayed with me. Other than that, and the sport pages, it was pretty standard right-wing free market piffle.

Leo

Never read the Times, did it change after the Murdoch purchase? News coverage in The Wall Street Journal renamed pretty consistent/decent post-Murdoch but the opinion pages went from conservative to slightly-less-hysterical Fox News territory. Apparently there's a pretty big chasm between WSJ editorial and op-ed people.

craner

Beast of Burden
Mark Fisher used to advocate Terminating the BBC. I think he made a point of reading The Times over the Guardian too.

I was going to write to same thing, I remember a couple of his tirades against the Licence Fee.