The Student Must Kill the Master

version

Agree? Disagree? Can the master succeed if the student fails to surpass them? Can you think of any notable examples either way?

luka

You have to get your timing right. Old lion on the downslope, you coming into the peak of your strength. Otherwise you can get badly mauled. A lot of boxing success is based on timing the fights in this way.

luka

I'm in the Simon Reynolds lineage. I don't want to kill him. I'm also in the Grapejuice lineage and I don't want to kill them either. I'm partly being influenced and Lear I got from people. I dont want to play that down. But it's also having some essential identity with them. Members of the same tribe. So when you first encounter their work, there's instant recognition.

luka

I'm in the Simon Reynolds lineage. I don't want to kill him. I'm also in the Grapejuice lineage and I don't want to kill them either. I'm partly being influenced and Lear I got from people. I dont want to play that down. But it's also having some essential identity with them. Members of the same tribe. So when you first encounter their work, there's instant recognition.

There's a strange autocorrect accident here but I can't work out what I was trying to say in the first place.

version

That Deleuze thing of giving past philosophers a 'monstrous child' is a twisted version of this, I guess.