MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's mad, a bunch of comedy people who I really respect and who's podcasts I listen to regularly have been gushing over it. They love him, because he's saying shit they wouldn't dare to, because they all want a piece of the hollywood pie. Madness, how he's blagged himself to that position. Have to respect the hustle even if he is a talentless tit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess there's something in Gervais doing that - something bubbling up. The knowledge so widespread that the rich are corrupt to the core, our society is too, and that it's all going to hell in a hand basket - that the comedian can say it (no doubt with the organisers' approval).

Kevin Spacey making those videos - once upon a time that would have been such a weird thing that nobody would have talked about anything else.

Everything's been rendered so strange and hyper accelerated by the internet that something else supplanted that within hours at the most.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Australian thing is by far the scariest - an image of imminent apocalypse.

Up until the last few years I felt fairly flippant and oblivious re: climate change, or just dully fatalistic, and I think a lot of people were like that.

Now I do think people are beginning to see this as the end times. People are talking about the future more and more as if it will all be over in a few decades.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
9/11, the financial crisis, escalation of gun massacres, Trump elected, the me too stuff, Epstein (preceded by Saville in our country, and Cosby), Brexit...

It's a litany of things falling apart. (Some of those things SHOULD have fallen apart - the establishment that protected paedophiles, e.g.)

All of this stuff could be seen as temporary madness, but the climate change thing dwarfs it all.

version

People are talking about the future more and more as if it will all be over in a few decades.

This from the Gibson interview I posted in another thread is something I've never really thought about, but which I have noticed now that I think about it:

"Few phrases were as common throughout the 20th century as “the 21st century,” yet how often do we see “the 22nd century”? Effectively, never."

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I can imagine Adam Curtis using this in one of his films.

Literally in the last 10 mins of Hypernormalisation rn and it couldn't be more relevant to the current direction of this thread. Surkov and his avant garde theatre techniques, keeping everyone in a state of confusion as a means of control. Bezmenov's ideological subversion. It all makes perfect nonsense. Time to read Kipling's If.

sadmanbarty

9/11, the financial crisis, escalation of gun massacres, Trump elected, the me too stuff, Epstein (preceded by Saville in our country, and Cosby), Brexit...

It's a litany of things falling apart. (Some of those things SHOULD have fallen apart - the establishment that protected paedophiles, e.g.)

All of this stuff could be seen as temporary madness, but the climate change thing dwarfs it all.

sadmanbarty

In year 7 documentary they made us watch a video of a little girl drown to death. A good 10 minutes of her being trapped and people trying to rescue her, realising she was a lost cause and then just letting her be submerged.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Had you seen it before?

Yeah when it came out. I'd forgotten how much of it was about Islam. Really interesting stuff about Assad, Syria, Kissinger intentionally fucking it all up in the 70s and instilling nihilism in a once well meaning ruler and how that relates to what happened in Russia. The Surkov stuff is only the last 20min, but fuck me. Why are we even wondering whats going on? It's all there