MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Think about what's more likely

Cmon corpse, what's more likely does not apply to MJ. His whole existence was an anomaly. And don't get me wrong, I don't think he was totally naive, I mean he bought the publishing to the beatles back catalog, that's as smart as you could get in the music world. But physically, and in some ways mentally, I think he was stunted. Trapped in a childish naivety. Especially when it came to personal relationships. I've known people with similar afflictions. My mum worked at 2 schools for difficult kids. Anyone who's worked in or known someone who's worked with problematic children will most likely have experience with this too. Trauma at a very young age can wreak havoc on a person's development into adulthood. Even on a hormonal level.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think this is one of those forks in the road where either he was putting it on or not - and if he WAS, and he was a paedophile, it makes the paedophilia worse. Cos then he's a manipulative person, not just a naive Peter Pan figure. A thousand times creepier.

Otoh maybe he WAS the eternal child, and either those children were making it up, or he was acting in an objectively wrong but subjectively naive way.

I'd prefer the latter to be true OFC.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
patty, what did you do when jackson died? how did you hear? how did you feel? how did you mourn?

I don't tend to mourn death too much in general. Maybe as a reaction to all the gloom of being raised Catholic, idk.

It was sad of course, but I really wasn't looking forward to what I expected of that final tour. It was for the best. Mostly I remembered the good. Like seeing him at Wembley on the Dangerous tour with my neighbor from up in the lake district. My aunt got us tickets. We arrived late and the stadium was packed. Closest to the stage we got was the big screen at the half way line. There was a huge semi circle of space where people were distancing themselves to be able to see it, and we decided that was our stage. We danced like crazed idiots and loved every second. I remember him leaving the stage on a jetpack so well lol

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I think this is one of those forks in the road where either he was putting it on or not - and if he WAS, and he was a paedophile, it makes the paedophilia worse. Cos then he's a manipulative person, not just a naive Peter Pan figure. A thousand times creepier.

Otoh maybe he WAS the eternal child, and either those children were making it up, or he was acting in an objectively wrong but subjectively naive way.

I'd prefer the latter to be true OFC.

There's no way he was acting that well for that long.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a trite truism but reading that Penman book (which was obviously selective but) it's crazy how so many of these geniuses were totally fucked up in one way or the other. Partly by the fame, but seemingly even to seek fame is a bit of an alarm bell.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's a trite truism but reading that Penman book (which was obviously selective but) it's crazy how so many of these geniuses were totally fucked up in one way or the other. Partly by the fame, but seemingly even to seek fame is a bit of an alarm bell.

It's a requisite. Especially in show business.

version

I've been thinking about that a lot recently. Britney's just gone back into rehab or hospital or something and it's triggered memories of the media frenzy when she shaved her head.

version

The celebrity thing's bizarre in general. Kobe Bryant's apparently just died in a helicopter crash and my first response was "no way" when if it was an ordinary member of the public I'd probably take it at face value and accept it right away.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, fucking mad.

It's a bit like someone you personally know has died young. But also I feel like wealth and fame and talent somehow protects you.

version

The Soleimani killing. Trump's trial. Coronavirus. Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes. Kobe dying in a helicopter crash the day after LeBron overtakes him. The weirdness is being cranked up and up.

Last edited:

version

I just found it bizarre to have him up there roasting them like that. It's a cumulative thing rather than the event itself being particularly crazy.