MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sadmanbarty

actually speaks a lot to my theory of dividing the hardcore continuum into people who think it's blade runner or not.

two competing ideas of the future. one clinical, one with humanity. one about how sex and violence and love and dancing and sentimentality interact with increased technological advancement, the other is, at its heart, music about touchscreen worktops and floating cars.

version

I dunno if there's enough of a contrast between the two to have a lot to say about them in opposition to each other.

version

I'm thinking either the polls have run their course for now or we need to go bigger and come up with something with three or four options.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
NWA vs. Public Enemy. PiL vs. Pistols. Wiley vs. Dizzee. Sly & The Family Stone vs. Funkadelic. Beefheart vs. Zappa. Beatles vs. Beach Boys. Neil Young vs. Bob Dylan.
NWA - it's aged much better, albeit Chuck D as a person > anyone from NWA
PIL x1000000 - this one shouldn't be a question
Wiley - never had a definitive statement like BITC, but was great for vastly longer; also he invented Dizzee before Dizzee, so
Funkadelic - u know I'm about that psychedelic life
Beefheart - skronk avant jazzish weirdness >> prog
Beach Boys - but Stones (or The Who) over either
Neil Young by a wide margin - the only good boomer icon, and also f Dylan he's unbearable

padraig (u.s.)

He changed the world with his music at an unprecedented level
I stick by what I said

you're fully entitled to your opinion (and luke is right, arguing our crazy passions is a large of part of why this place lives in)

and I'm equally entitled to think it is a completely batshit crazy opinion to hold

an opinion that, again, I can only imagine a European holding

but if that's what you think, more power to you

padraig (u.s.)

Madonna vs. Kate Bush. Primo vs. RZA.
I'd be pretty surprised if Dissensus didn't go heavily for RZA

the other possibly closer - I'm 100% Kate Bush, obviously - but I don't think place is near as poptimist as it was in the original heyday

padraig (u.s.)

I must be honest I don't have the slightest qualms in listening to him had never occurred to me till Padraig mentioned it
as I said, it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves, in relation to any artist

tho I wouldn't even call it a decision. I just at some point realized I no longer wanted to listen to his music, ever. I just think of the children he damaged.

I do think it's something that's become more important - not just MJ, but with art in general - to me in the last couple years

idk, it's just how I feel. other people should do what they feel.

padraig (u.s.)

Do you have the same policy for every musician who has a bad rep? Like James Brown?
no. I don't have any "policy". it's case by case.

it's again, a decision everyone has to make for themself with any artist

it also has nothing to do with the quality of the art, or lack thereof

padraig (u.s.)

and again it's not even a conscious decision, really. it's not something I agonize over.

one day, I was like "I don't want to listen to this fucking guy ever again". that was that.

luka

What was that thread third did about the punitive in music?

I just did a search for 'sadomasochism' but then thought I would end up on the weird things you see on whOs online thread

Luka searching for 'sadomasochism'