Dublin Droid's Dancehall Delights

sadmanbarty

Prepare yourself non-stop Irish iration from the Galway gunman.

Droid's going to do a whirlwind tour of dancehall greatness from maybe 1985-95 or 1979-2000.

It's going to be wicked.

droid

lol, remind me in a month. Also, narrow it down a bit. Digi roots, computer dancehall, ragga - just some of the options.

luka

Just think Barty wants to discover some fun 80s and early 90s dancehall he hasn't heard before and probably is also worried that we haven't heard from droid as much as we'd like to and this might help reintegrate and involve him in the ongoing family bickering

sadmanbarty

I’d lean towards the ragga end of it personally, but whatever you think a young boy in need of education requires really.

sadmanbarty

There’s apparently some research that shows people have the most affection for music they were listening to when they were 14. I was 14 right at the height of portmire/gaza vs alliance/gully era. Luke would have been 14 when jungle first started happening.

Apparently prince used to talk about people having a musical home; the genres that are closest to you and most natural to you. He said you could go travelling to other places and visit them, but you’d always have to come home. I think I’ve got that with dancehall. I perceive music through the prism of dancehall; jungle, grime and drill fair example are all perceived as these mutated variants of it in my mind.

When I was very little (turn of the millennium) the bloke living upstairs ran a sound system, so in a way it’s a music that’s been ever present I’m my consciousness.

All of which is a very sentimental and long winded way of saying I’d like to learn about something I love and something very dear to me from someone who’s incredibly knowledgable and impassioned about it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think the core root of all my disagreements with Droid boils down to my antipathy to this stuff and his hatred of 80s soul.

sadmanbarty

How and when did you discover Dissensus, Barty?

I was trying to find out if there was a name for this sub genre of garage that used dancehall (tresillo!) rhythms (things like USL making love, agent x decoy) and came accross a thread on here asking that very question (I believe blackdown said it was called ‘socabeat’ but I’ve never heard that used by anyone else before or since). I joined in December 2014 so can’t have been too long before that). Also Reynolds references the forum on blogs every now and then so possibly I’d seen it a few times before.

luka

I think the core root of all my disagreements with Droid boils down to my antipathy to this stuff and his hatred of 80s soul.

Wasn't there a thread about trying to sell Jamacia to Craner? Or did I imagine that?

sadmanbarty

Wasn't there a thread about trying to sell Jamacia to Craner? Or did I imagine that?

Yeah. But then I posted loads of novelty tracks on it, which defeated the whole purpose.

I had this thing over my news years holiday where I’d been up all night and was suddenly overcome with emotion looking at Jamaica as this one long tradition. Putting Millie smalls, Desmond decker and Rygin king all in one continuum ( to coin a phrase). I was overcome with awe, gracious for getting to be a passenger in this amazing journey.

I made a thread that night that about two people responded to.

sadmanbarty

No, it was a nice wholesome evening after a stretch of debauchery. After lots of booze and drugs and girls and all that it was just a cozy little eving in a hotel with a takeaway pizza and 6 decades a Jamaican wonderment to keep me company.

It was a very wholesome experience. Like a little boy looking up at the pyramids and going “woooooow!!!”