Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luka

Corpsey is one of those people who will never ever ever do anything you ask him too cos being asked to do something really stresses him out

sadmanbarty

I think he knows he gets more attention from resisting, like a toddler refusing to brush his teeth.

This being a case in point.

luka

Me and Barty have devoted many hours to psychoanalysing corpse, dissecting each facet of his character. It's sort of a shared obsession.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
@mvuent

the point is not rejecting previous musical achievements, the point is that you can't subscribe to scruton's musical worldview without his politics. that's what Ben Watson is exactly criticising. that Scruton's music taste is not just structurally but politically conservative. it won't budge. for it to budge, one has to be interested (at least somewhat sympathetically, in black liberation, anti-art, situationism, modernism, stream of consciousness) etc.

It's truncated precisely because it tries to map the 19th century onto the 20th C, but with backdated assumptions gleaned from the french counter-revolution.

Another way to think about this is, Billy Bragg is closer to Scruton than Coltrane, even though they have diametrically opposite views. Both lack a concept of the true universal. because the central tenet of marx (though not marxism generally) is that no worker wants to be a worker.

mvuent

Void Dweller
To reduce it to its simplest formulation

Art has a duty to tell the truth ugliness is truth

look, i've studied k punk's writing extensively. by which i mean i've read that one sentence of his that got stenciled on a wall. and i think that the boiled down, simplest formulation of my instincts on this issue would follow that quote, but with "music" or "art" substituted in for "politics". i'm don't think that's wildly different from things either of you, third and luka, have said before, or are saying on the last few pages. but that entails going beyond traditional ideas of "beauty" and "ugliness" rather than simply flipping around which one is good, which is why the thesis above (and not necessarily any real person's ideas) isn't satisfying imo. i know that's not an innovative, genius level opinion or anything, but i just wanted to clarify that's what i was getting at, since i'm not sure it came through.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
@mvuent

the point is not rejecting previous musical achievements, the point is that you can't subscribe to scruton's musical worldview without his politics.

i wasn't saying that was the point. just thinking aloud really, because i think it's an important idea in general. so yeah, i completely agree with what you're saying about roger scruton.