Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

Can You Feel It vs. The Bells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You can think of the way techno can, very beautifully and vividly, evoke alienation, for instance, and pitch that against houses beautiful dream of universal brotherhood and belonging.

well this is the thing isn't it. Reggae says the righteous will countenance so much suffering but eventually babylon will fall. techno says the righteous will never win. and to be brutallly honest, techno's soundworld seems more contempporary than does the utopian brotherhood of early house. That is not to diminish house's value one bit. part of what is so revelatory about basic channel is that it's truly machine dub, in a way the orb is not. the spiritual fury of dub, reduced to lack of overcoming, perpetual heretics which will never be remembered in the cosmic fire and only audible to those who are in the murky depths of hellfire. because, if we're being real, those who control knowledge are also the oppressor. and short of making God some kind of judging personage (which a lot of non-gnostic religious people do granted) they hold the keys to the divine. Part of what infuriates me about Blackdown is that he never got this essential component of BC, it's not just dub reggae people making techno (that's a lot of rootsy dubstep yes but not BC...)

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
techno flips gramsci's statement around. optimism of the intellect, pessimism of the will. the intellectual hopes for revolution are higher than ever, but the kinetic will is disappearing to nonexistent. because everyone knows how it ends. No longer Stalinism as an ideology to dispossess the peasantry, but its perfect form in state militarised democracy.

mvuent

Void Dweller
To reduce it to its simplest formulation

Art has a duty to tell the truth ugliness is truth

i think the way people on twitter talk about "neoliberalism" is analogous to how i feel about this idea. it claims to be radical and revolutionary while conceding to a traditional understanding of things. "you're right to label my work as ugly because it's more dissonant that bach, mr. scruton. but hey, i'm weird, i actually wanted to make something ugly because that's more honest! what, you're still not interested in it?"

what's more radical in my opinion is to make an argument like luigi russolo's in the art of noise, where he makes playing a bunch of engines in a concert hall sound like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. letting people know that contrary to the stupid old rules, it's safe to go outside.

the first part is undoubtedly a blatant strawman but still.

i don't see why you could possibly need art to tell people how bad the world is.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think the way people on twitter talk about "neoliberalism" is analogous to how i feel about this idea. it claims to be radical and revolutionary while conceding to a traditional understanding of things. "you're right to label my work as ugly because it's more dissonant that bach, mr. scruton. but hey, i'm weird, i actually wanted to make something ugly because that's more honest! what, you're still not interested in it?"

what's more radical in my opinion is to make an argument like luigi russolo's in the art of noise, where he makes playing a bunch of engines in a concert hall sound like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. letting people know that contrary to the stupid old rules, it's safe to go outside.

the first part is undoubtedly a blatant strawman but still.

i don't see why you could possibly need art to tell people how bad the world is.

no no no. you've got it all wrong. Russolo wasn't saying that as an abstract artistic statement, but because he thought war machines were the future of capitalism and not clerical accounting, joint stock companies and state direction of private enterprise. he was already outdated at the time, and basically proto-fascist. something like bitcoin would be abhorrent to him.

luka

I don't think any sophisticated person would sign up to the idea the way I presented it. That's a very boiled down reduced version of something I think is behind a Certain current of aesthetic thought.