yyaldrin's conceptronica album

sadmanbarty

https://www.youtube.com/user/ELIAPERI/videos

yyaldrin makes loads of wicked music. its definitely music that could find an audience. it's sophie-adjascent. it's nu grime-adjacent. there are labels that'd definitely put out this type of thing. yyaldrin should be on boiler room.

si said in his conceptronica piece that these days if you want to sell electronic music you have to disguise crass, self-serving marketing as art. in other words, yyaldrin needs a concept.

our job on dissensus is to come up with yyaldrin's concept. we're going to explore his music and what it means and create a perfect press release that some pitchfork reviewer can copy and paste into a review.

lets get to work lads.

sadmanbarty

sufi said that if this isn't the instrumental to travis scott's next single he's shutting the forum down as we'd "clearly wouldn't be worth your collective salts".

sadmanbarty

Ghost Kwini- Imprisoned Futures

The future as presented in the afro-futurist lineage was imagination-terrain explored with the intent of uncovering paths to emancipation. These futures were cognitive weapons in a psychological insurgency against internalised oppression.

But the future has been captured. It is being held hostage. Global capital has codified and commodified it. Its radical potential has been blunted by nostalgia, irony and cliche.

Futures were once propelled forward, but now they are held suspended. Cryogenically frozen prisoners in bunkers of the global elite.

In Imprisoned Futures Ghost Kwini repurposes 80's synthscapes and 90's rave samples through tempestuous sound collages, casting them as docile gatekeepers of our present-day dystopia.

It calls into question the complicity of rave nostalgics in an evermore dire political situation and ponders the point at which art becomes propaganda.

This is a pointed work that critic Simon Reynolds has called "the most arresting and potent electronic music of the 2020's".

Available at bookmat.com.

sadmanbarty

this is the top thing on dusk and blackdown's soundcloud, so this stuff is ver keysound friendly

Martin Clark are you out there? Give us a sign?

other_life

bioconfused
i have this hunch that people (the Youths, specifically) were embarrassed by si's piece and are slinking away from 'conceptronica', though. someone in the shallow rewards discord, when i tried talking ab uk drill production, is like 'americans won't be able to hear the difference between it and grime, and [this is key] we forgot ab the brief moment we even liked grime already'
the next microtrend is deliberately stupid/oversaturated aesthetics (see the toying w 2000's emo shit) and Reconstructing the Club.
yyaldrin has to sell what they do as just really solid club music (and it is!) or else people will dismiss it as (funny enough) already belonging to another time, the late 2k10's 'conceptronica' blip.

blissblogger

i have this hunch that people (the Youths, specifically) were embarrassed by si's piece and are slinking away from 'conceptronica', though. someone in the shallow rewards discord, when i tried talking ab uk drill production, is like 'americans won't be able to hear the difference between it and grime, and [this is key] we forgot ab the brief moment we even liked grime already'
the next microtrend is deliberately stupid/oversaturated aesthetics (see the toying w 2000's emo shit) and Reconstructing the Club.
yyaldrin has to sell what they do as just really solid club music (and it is!) or else people will dismiss it as (funny enough) already belonging to another time, the late 2k10's 'conceptronica' blip.

i dunno, i'm still getting some pretty gassy press releases - folks sticking to their conceptual guns - perhaps once you're on that path, it's hard to get off. sunk costs of all that postgraduate study. the way your mind is wired, etc.

talking of which i saw this billboard directly over the road from Goldsmiths

MURA MASSA.jpg

it's hard to read cos of the horrendous typography and background color clash but the album is all to do with cultural entropy and retro-paralysis and the nostalgia conspiracy - and (judging by an interview i found in the Evening Standard) seems to be partly inspired by reading of Fisher and yours truly

not electronic though, some kind of conceptindie or conceptsingersongwriter

Last edited:

version

The floundering on Twitter after that piece was funny. A bunch of people had the rug pulled out from under them.

sadmanbarty

He’s also a lovely bloke. A lovely presence to be around. all warm and cuddly, but with a penchant for cheekiness and naughtiness. Proper lovely.

sadmanbarty

When I saw him whenever it was I arrived at Luke’s flat and I asked Luke if si was there yet. Like was talking about something else and suddenly the door to the living room opens and si’s lovely warm voice calls out “hello”. I’m not joking- this 100% true, I’m not just saying it for a joke- I turn around and without thinking I look straight at his knob. The first thing I looked at as he greeted me was his knob. I looked at it before I even looked at his face.

The hilarious thing was that it was actually genuinely very bulbous. You could tell there genuinely was something hefty underneath his trouser.