Are you a thrill seeker?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The only person I can see being a thrill seeker is Barty.

I've read that thrill seekers have been shown to have lower heart rates than people like us. They need more sensational input to feel alive. Whereas if I make eye contact accidentally with an attractive woman on the tube I have to go and lie down for twenty minutes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've got a mate who is much more like this than I am and he absolutely LOVES coke. Whereas I find that it puts me on edge a bit.

luka

Patty and idle rich are the two main ones here. And yyyaldrin. They're out every night. Drag themselves in at 11am and have a relaxing bit of crack. Strippers draped over the soft furnishings trying to attract their attention.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A really obvious thing that occurred to me today is that poets are generally not thrill seekers, which is why so many of them write poems about how they never asked their crush out.

Byron is the obvious exception. There must be others.

luka

Yeah there's a whole other tradition. The sort of thing Bolano is fantasising about in the savage detective or that jodorowsky romanticises in those two recent, and very bad, films of his.

Living life with 'passion' that Latinate sentimentality. Torrid love affairs. Duels. Suicides. Gratuitous risk taking and flouting of social convention.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually I remember where I read that now, it was in a book about the biology of crime. Criminals (particularly violent criminals) have on average lower resting heart rates than the general population. Which I suppose either causes them to seek out the thrilling experience of doing a crime, or makes them better equipped to carry out crimes if they have to.

This covers similar ground:
https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug06/frisky

version

I don't take zizek seriously, and I haven't read much, just dipped in to,see what was going on, but I do like the thing he keeps repeating about the superego always nagging you to 'enjoy' and the guilt people feel over their failure to 'enjoy' which is what this thread is all about.

The sin of failing to 'enjoy'

NYE in a nutshell.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Needless to say, I have a high resting heart rate, which explains why I sweat so easily and am so scared of everything.

luka

Actually I remember where I read that now, it was in a book about the biology of crime. Criminals (particularly violent criminals) have on average lower resting heart rates than the general population. Which I suppose either causes them to seek out the thrilling experience of doing a crime, or makes them better equipped to carry out crimes if they have to.

This covers similar ground:
https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug06/frisky

Corpse loves his phrenology

version

I am not a thrill seeker, although I sometimes veer wildly into thrill seeking. Not so much these days, but I used to like fighting in school, throwing myself down stairs on a skateboard, doing silly things on and with drugs, throwing aerosol cans in fires and stuff. One of my mates nearly broke his leg after we decided to sledge down the stairs in the house and he got his foot caught in the bannister.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think when you're a teenager/young adult you're much more likely to be a thrill-seeker whatever your 'base' level turns out to be.

craner

Beast of Burden
I am not a thrill seeker, although I sometimes veer wildly into thrill seeking

:crylarf: What? "There was that time I veered wildly into jumping out of a plane."

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I pretty much always had to get drunk to become a thrill-seeker. It removes that forcefield of anxiety that usually surrounds everything.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i think i'm not much of a thrill seeker anymore. i did do some wild things when i was younger and all just for the sake of fun. shoplifting, burglary, squatting, graffiti, pyromania. it's a wonder i got away with all of it without serious problems. i'm embarrassed by a lot of it now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ahahahaha

That's two now. "I'm not much of a one for thrill seeking. Sure, I robbed a few banks when I was a lad. But who didn't?"