Are you a thrill seeker?

craner

Beast of Burden
It's like to time Left Eye from TLC tried to downplay incinerating Andre Rison's mansion. "Sure, I set fire to his sneakers, but I didn't mean to burn down the whole damn house."

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I think when you're a teenager/young adult you're much more likely to be a thrill-seeker whatever your 'base' level turns out to be.

plus, you know the consequences aren't as bad as when you're an adult. nobody's gonna send you to jail when you're 14.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, plus physically you're sort of indestructible.

When you get to my age, skateboarding e.g. seems much scarier cos you know if you twist your ankle your leg might fall off.

version

I stopped skating about two or three years ago because of that. I just didn't want to take the risk of ending up in a cast for months or smacking my head anymore.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a slow burn, this place. The pleasures are fleeting, the road long.
To be honest though, is jumping out of a plane any different? That's kinda what puts me off... I don't think I'd mind jumping out of a plane as such, but I really don't fancy driving for hours to a airfield in Wales or whatever, waiting around and getting the equipment, spending a whole day training with a load of accountants from Staines, then going up in a plane, the instructor goes over it all again seven times, finally you get to the right height and you jump out and fall for... what, a few minutes? Is it worth it? I've seen some programmes when they do base jumping or whatever, some illegal bungee thing or something - hours of planning, driving, dodging police and you're in the air for one minute. And you see them afterwards all whooping and shouting like in the Mountain Dew ad but I always feel they're trying to ignore the "what do we now" feeling - cos what they do is pack up their stuff and slowly drive back.
There is a Russian saying which is basically "If you like sledging down hill you should learn to like walking back up with the sledge" or something which is pretty apt.
But no I'm not a thrill seeker in short. It's true about when you're a teenager though, I think the hormones all kicking off makes people take more risks and be less able to evaluate the consequences so inevitably you do dumb things. Though I didn't really that much as far as I remember.

john eden

male pale and stale
My guess is that you and your minivan full of accountants would seek thrills on the way there by driving over the speed limit, snorting coke of the dashboard, shoplifting from the service station, doing some prank calls from the van etc.

The fact that you consider the admin etc is just symptomatic I'm afraid Rich :p

sufi

lala
"If you like sledging down hill you should learn to like walking back up with the sledge"
i did jump out of a plane, it was brilliant, i don't recall much of the journey there or back
but i do recall that when the parachute opened and the noisy business of freefall at 1000 miles an hour stopped, there was this amazing moment of serenity like buddha sitting on a cloud overlooking the entire southern end of the uk.
the act of dropping out of the plane was an odd one, not really a thrill, i remember my tummy feeling that doing a plummet is not the right behaviour at all

i also burgled, rioted, looted and did some quite nervy petty crimes as a youth,
& I still find that thrilling compulsion to shoplift for trivia very difficult to suppress 🔥 cheap thrills til you get nicked
also faredodging don't get me started

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't take zizek seriously, and I haven't read much, just dipped in to,see what was going on, but I do like the thing he keeps repeating about the superego always nagging you to 'enjoy' and the guilt people feel over their failure to 'enjoy' which is what this thread is all about.

The sin of failing to 'enjoy'

pleasure as work, the theme of much gym-ready EDM-pop - "we're gonna party like we at work" etc

zizek was created by a focus group to fill pop philosophy media slots. he can't be real.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I gotta admit the parachute thing does sound the best out of the lot... bungee jump is seconds right? Maybe you can go back up and do it again.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Patty and idle rich are the two main ones here. And yyyaldrin. They're out every night. Drag themselves in at 11am and have a relaxing bit of crack. Strippers draped over the soft furnishings trying to attract their attention.
I like to get back to my lovely clean house with well stocked cupboards at the end. Past the days of going back to find a party in my own bedroom... when there are a load of people at someone's house for three days and you look in the host's eyes and think "Thank fuck they didn't pop back to mine for afters".

sadmanbarty

The only person I can see being a thrill seeker is Barty.

I’d say I’m reckless and impulsive rather than a thrill seeker. A thrill seeker finds a rush in flirting with catastrophe and danger, whereas I have brushes with trouble as side effects of pursuing other impulses (sex, laughs, etc.).

The closest thing I do to thrill seeking is public sex, but again that’s largely about having a cool atmosphere, an ego thing of trying to make the girls experience as magical and adventurous and unforgettable as possible, etc. Though there was a thing last year where I could see people watching me shag through the hotel window (I was on the ground floor) and it really did turn me on.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sort of reminds me of our discussion in the personality thread about how nobody identifies as an extrovert, possibly because they think that would suggest they're a thicko

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I read stuff about people reacting viscerally to poetry and painting, and I wonder if it's just pure hyperbole or if they're literally having a different physiological response to these things.

The latter doesn't seem unlikely - I know I have strong emotional and physical reactions to pieces of music that friends of mine would consider utterly bemusing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
there was a thing last year where I could see people watching me shag through the hotel window (I was on the ground floor) and it really did turn me on.
So... it's about making her experience magical or yours?

version

I read stuff about people reacting viscerally to poetry and painting, and I wonder if it's just pure hyperbole or if they're literally having a different physiological response to these things.

The latter doesn't seem unlikely - I know I have strong emotional and physical reactions to pieces of music that friends of mine would consider utterly bemusing.

The stories of people vomiting and passing out in the aisles when The Exorcist was in cinemas. The response to The Rite of Spring on opening night.