Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zines, pamphlets, art comics, chap books etc

I always feel like it would be nice to create a scene though tbh. Some reciprocation. Synergy. Positive feedback loops. Excitement. Engagement. Participation. Quickening. Sometimes dissensus feels exciting as I say. The blogs did for a year or two. It's heroic ploughing a lonely furrow, but it's far from ideal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

If you distilled one good thread into a 24 page book that you could sell for between £5 and £10, you would open up the possibility of a new audience.

There's a potential audience I'm convinced of it. But I have no idea how to find it.

I'm much more of a zine consumer than a zine producer.

Manlike Reynolds talked to me about it:
    http://reynoldsretro.blogspot.com/20...h-httpwww.html

I did a couple of scrappy zines last decade and it was fun but then I ran out of steam.

For me it was pretty easy getting rid of 200/300 zines but they were about niche music so there is already an audience for them and also people who would stock them in their distros.

Another poster here is working on one that I am quite excited about.

It's a secret? Can't say who it is or why it is exciting?

They are cool things to just give away to people, if you keep the size/costs down.

I can't remember the last time someone tried to sell me a copy of a zine at a gig but that is because I am very very old and go to Cafe OTO and I don't think they would allow that in there as they have their own shop.

I was well happy when a homless guy sold me a copy of this anarchist version of the Big Issue in Liverpool Street Station though:
    https://dogsection.bigcartel.com/category/dope

8. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's a secret? Can't say who it is or why it is exciting?
    Oh I just like his writing, is all. Not sure if he wants people to know about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    As I and others have said elsewhere, you can't sell music now, so it's little books instead. Cos reading more than a chapter on your phone is tricky
    I've noticed this too. There's that Shelter Press thing called Spectres for one.

I got a copy of something called After Us free with a CD I bought from Bleep a while back.

https://www.aft3r.us/about

Through essays, pictorials and fiction, After Us aims to look beyond the horizon, exploring developments in science and technology, new forms and expressions in art, and alternative political thinking, in print and online.

i did a bit of work on this http://www.fwwcp-dc.org

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

This interplay with music is definitely new. It's like fanzines were traditionally about fan culture and came up around the music. Now it's moving towards the music being secondary to the pamphlet or something

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    i did a bit of work on this http://www.fwwcp-dc.org
    Looks pretty interesting

When I saw the rough trade ones I was a bit taken aback, like 'what is this establishment label doing muscling in on zines' but I got hold of one and have now sent for a few others. They've done a run of radio shows to promote them (search 'rough trade books' on mixcloud) which are all interesting listens. They put out black metal so I'll eat them

The rough trade one by adelle stripe on the fat white family is pretty funny. And the james endeacott one also, some good yarns. Dunno if theyre worth 7.99 each for what are basically long reads, but its nice to turn the pages and look at pictures on paper for a change. Will probably pass em on to friends.

Nearly finished my quick zine of genet ‘prisoner of love’ quotes, just need to sort the cover out. Im going cardboard like everyone else is doing for the covers. Thats clearly the standard.

Few more zine/comics people/comics people while my mind's on it:

Matthew 'wulfboy' Connor. Anyone read him? Dean blunt used to read a line from one of his stories as part of his stage show: 'i used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too...'

Harmony Korine: famously did a load of zines on his own and in collab with mark gonzales

Cameron Jamie: inspired Korine to make 'trash humpers' with his masterful short film 'massage the history'. His zines are pretty good sounding, one is pictures of dog piss off the streets. They are proper art so are a bit pricey.

Innen books: art book people who do zines by famous/outsidery/hipstery people like Korine.

Carta Minor: mainly sex comics but other stuff as well. I just bought one called 'napkin'. Pretty hardcore. Runs her own press called 'diskette'. Uses risograph technique.

Laura Lannes: sex/relationship comics, really good drawing.

These last two were both involved with 2dcloud but left after the sex scandal.