Zines, pamphlets, art comics, chap books etc

john eden

male pale and stale
They are cool things to just give away to people, if you keep the size/costs down.

I can't remember the last time someone tried to sell me a copy of a zine at a gig but that is because I am very very old and go to Cafe OTO and I don't think they would allow that in there as they have their own shop.

I was well happy when a homless guy sold me a copy of this anarchist version of the Big Issue in Liverpool Street Station though:
https://dogsection.bigcartel.com/category/dope

version

I got a copy of something called After Us free with a CD I bought from Bleep a while back.

https://www.aft3r.us/about

Through essays, pictorials and fiction, After Us aims to look beyond the horizon, exploring developments in science and technology, new forms and expressions in art, and alternative political thinking, in print and online.

catalog

This interplay with music is definitely new. It's like fanzines were traditionally about fan culture and came up around the music. Now it's moving towards the music being secondary to the pamphlet or something

catalog

When I saw the rough trade ones I was a bit taken aback, like 'what is this establishment label doing muscling in on zines' but I got hold of one and have now sent for a few others. They've done a run of radio shows to promote them (search 'rough trade books' on mixcloud) which are all interesting listens. They put out black metal so I'll eat them

catalog

The rough trade one by adelle stripe on the fat white family is pretty funny. And the james endeacott one also, some good yarns. Dunno if theyre worth 7.99 each for what are basically long reads, but its nice to turn the pages and look at pictures on paper for a change. Will probably pass em on to friends.

Nearly finished my quick zine of genet ‘prisoner of love’ quotes, just need to sort the cover out. Im going cardboard like everyone else is doing for the covers. Thats clearly the standard.

catalog

Few more zine/comics people/comics people while my mind's on it:

Matthew 'wulfboy' Connor. Anyone read him? Dean blunt used to read a line from one of his stories as part of his stage show: 'i used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too...'

Harmony Korine: famously did a load of zines on his own and in collab with mark gonzales

Cameron Jamie: inspired Korine to make 'trash humpers' with his masterful short film 'massage the history'. His zines are pretty good sounding, one is pictures of dog piss off the streets. They are proper art so are a bit pricey.

Innen books: art book people who do zines by famous/outsidery/hipstery people like Korine.

Carta Minor: mainly sex comics but other stuff as well. I just bought one called 'napkin'. Pretty hardcore. Runs her own press called 'diskette'. Uses risograph technique.

Laura Lannes: sex/relationship comics, really good drawing.

These last two were both involved with 2dcloud but left after the sex scandal.

catalog

New Richard Skelton limited edition

https://www.corbelstonepress.com/product-page/notes-on-the-landscape-ii

​The poem reads like a heretical treatise on the geography of the north; an unflinching account of the sedimentation of fact, fiction and myth. Its ruptured, poetic logic sheds slant light on the supposed veracity of official histories, excising ambiguities from authoritative texts and casting them adrift in its slurry of signifiers.

catalog

keep meaning to post some reviews of some recent zines i've read. got a good david keenan one on the go at the moment. and just finished the simon morris 'creepshots' one. that was good. manchester scene report, cut up with arts council branding literature.

woops

is not like other people
Lockdown special offer! PM me your address and I'll post you a copy of my latest book of poems, Phrase Origin. You cover postage costs by sending me a postcard in return.
82356328_10218669016229601_8306644605059727360_o.jpg

woops

is not like other people
mondo sticker action

further to the flyers in the flyers thread, my brother and i made this fanzine back up north, late 90s

(he's archiving his attic during quarantine)

00f1e0f2-821d-47dd-abef-aaed759cd6b2.jpg