Anxiety.

luka

You can choose to be dismissive and say they're snowflakes and need to toughen up or you can place the blame on the drug companies and the doctors that over prescribe their products and there would probably be some truth in that but not enough to explain this trend away, in my opinion.

You are allowed your own opinion, even if it contradicts mine.

sadmanbarty

i once pointed to the pastoral/folky/4th world instrumentals in recent rap as being quite poignant in a world of environmental degradation. its music that medicates against the modern world (with all its talks of oxycodone and codein and all that).

obviously not a great post to put after that angsty future tune, but there you go

luka

i once pointed to the pastoral/folky/4th world instrumentals in recent rap as being quite poignant in a world of environmental degradation. its music that medicates against the modern world (with all its talks of oxycodone and codein and all that).

obviously not a great post to put after that angsty future tune, but there you go

It's a lot like the screen savers you get of lush green hills or whatever. I feel like someone has already said that, me or you, or some other clever cunt. In an open plan office under strip lighting looking at a screen display of a meadow.

sadmanbarty

It's a lot like the screen savers you get of lush green hills or whatever. I feel like someone has already said that, me or you, or some other clever cunt. In an open plan office under strip lighting looking at a screen display of a meadow.

that was me.

you then did the thing about capital using the language of nature; branches, revenue streams, etc.

luka

I can't imagine how it could be possible. You were right when you said he is The Internet. It's sentient and it makes terrible jokes.

Trillhouse

IMHO general anxiety about the 'state of the world' or whatever, and some form of diagnosable anxiety disorder are obviously two seperate things that it's not always useful to conflate. But as usual I only have about 40% of an idea of wtf it is these threads are about.

These days..

The world is more peaceful than it's been in recorded history.

You're way less likely to die of infectious diseases (especially if you live in the West).

Advances in modern medicine continue to improve and prolong our lives to record levels.

In general people are having to work way less hours.

The numbers of people living in poverty & extreme poverty have been on a downward trajectory for decades and look to continue that decline.

Homicide rates have never been better.

The world is becoming more democratic.

Modern technology & amenities have improved standards of living to unprecedented levels.

None of that can save you from the irrefutable fact that one day we will all die, disappearing into an infinite void of nothingness.

Last edited:

version

I can't imagine how it could be possible. You were right when you said he is The Internet. It's sentient and it makes terrible jokes.

:crylarf:

I was skimming the dematerialisation thread the other night and caught 'Windows XP' and the background, so assumed that was the bit you were on about, went back and found it.

sadmanbarty

luke's positing that all those good things go to shit if global warming gets too bad.

global warming becomes this impending doom comparable that expected during the cold war. "extinction" rebellion.

version

IMHO general anxiety about the 'state of the world' or whatever, and some form of diagnosable anxiety disorder are obviously two seperate things that it's not always useful to conflate. But as usual I only have about 40% of an idea of wtf it is these threads are about.

These days..

The world is more peaceful now than it's been in recorded history.

You're way less likely to die of infectious diseases (especially if you live in the West).

Advances in modern medicine continue to improve and prolong our lives to record levels.

The numbers of people living in poverty & extreme poverty have been on a downward trajectory for decades and look to continue that decline.

Modern technology & amenities have improved standards of living to unprecedented levels.

None of that can save you from the irrefutable fact that one day we will all die, disappearing into an infinite void of nothingness.

If we managed to 'solve' death, we'd probably still be miserable. We'd be doomed to live forever.

luka

These days..

That's what your local GP would tell you. Less fun to make a dissensus thread about and of course the Steven Pinker view of the world is contentious.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

These days..

that is what they want you to believe yes. it's far from being true. you make an important distinction yourself by distinguish the west from the rest of the world but also on other points this type of optimism is just not true, or at least a lot more nuanced. this is a good article on the subject: https://newint.org/features/2019/07/01/long-read-progress-and-its-discontents

At the same time, a backlash was building. A prominent group of billionaires, pundits and commentators began to rally around a new narrative. This doom and gloom is all wrong, they said: zoom out just a bit and take a moment to appreciate the fact that human progress is, in fact, accelerating. There have been dramatic improvements in indicators such as life expectancy and infant mortality, impressive reductions in the prevalence of disease, and – most importantly – global poverty is disappearing at a rapid rate; poor countries are catching up with rich ones. Things have never been better.

blissblogger

this was the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" of the 2010s

I was told when I get older all my fears would shrink
But now I'm insecure and I care what people think

My name's Blurryface and I care what you think

Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days
When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out

Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young
How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from
I'd make a candle out of it if I ever found it
Try to sell it, never sell out of it, I'd probably only sell one
It'd be to my brother, 'cause we have the same nose
Same clothes homegrown a stone's throw from a creek we used to roam
But it would remind us of when nothing really mattered
Out of student loans and tree-house homes we all would take the latter

Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days
When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out
We used to play pretend, give each other different names
We would build a rocket ship and then we'd fly it far away
Used to dream of outer space but now they're laughing at our face
Saying, "Wake up, you need to make money"

Trillhouse

I'm saying that the only reason the world is able to carry on is that it has drugged itself to the eyeballs. Without that Panic would ensue. I'm saying this state of denial can only be temporary. Sooner or later the dam will burst.

This is why we need Jesus. Alternatively, some of the newer cults are built around this premise. Which is obviously a form of anxiety thinking itself. Nobody can know the future, yet it's easy to forecast impending catastrophe and easy to believe in such forecasts. But obviously the only true statement is "nobody can know the future".