Outside of bills, utilities etc, what do you spend your money on?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When I went on holiday for a month last year one great aspect of that was not having any books looming over me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
After the non-negotiable stuff, most of my disposable income goes on food and drink, though way less on both than 5 or 10 years ago - eating out became a reflex rather than a real pleasure in my last few years in London, and likewise drinking 4 or 5 pints is much less of a reflex than it was. Taking up that slack have been the costs of a therapy course, like Danny - the course itself, personal therapy, and rail costs cos the course is in London and I'm not.

Way less spent these days on non-perishable physical stuff - clothes twice a year in the sales, gigs and other arts entertainments occasionally...it doesn't add up to much.

john eden

male pale and stale
Food
Oystercard
Booze
Holidays / other travel
Saving for daughter's time at University
Daughter - other stuff.
Cafe OTO
Supporting various other worthy causes
Cat

I do buy the odd book and fanzine and vintage mouldering radical publication.

Musicwise I probably spend more on bandcamp than vinyl these days. Cheap CDs from charity shops and ebay also. I gave up buying new vinyl last year.

I don't buy a lot of clothes or own a car.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You're in Berlin aren't you? There's probably a Reichian scene there though it'd be German language so I wouldn't have much access to it. When I was there, I travelled out to meet a bloke called Bernd Senf who's a Reichian therapist, now retired. He's written about economics from a Reichian perspective.

Thanks.Yeah, but a lot of people speak English here. I'm currently in the market for a therapist. It's hard to know which type to go for.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah we binned off Anthony Braxton recently for £30 and saw Evan Parker the night after with some weird French radiophonic workshop type guys for about £8...

It was an amazing gig and I would prefer 3 or 4 of them over the big names generally.

luka

I ve never tried going to the packet of crisp people. Maybe one day. You two live locally so it makes more sense for you. It's just like going to the pub without the chore of having to make conversation.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well we make conversation too, but yes.

I am ten bus stops away and am very fortunate.

I've taken enough places for granted to know that you need to make the most of them while they're still around...

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a place called Desterro in Lisbon which is run by this Finnish guy and it reminds me a bit of Cafe OTO but without the big name people of course. The guy doesn't seem to give a fuck if he makes money or not and books totally random stuff, I went in the backroom one time and there was this kind of jam thing with like ten weird laptops and analogue machines around a huge snooker table sized place and these guys making totally random noises. When it gets to like six am or so he just seems to stop charging and lets random people go behind the bar and serve whoever they like. It's really rundown and cockroachy and so on but does have a genuine free spiritedness that I've not seen from any other place here. I've had some interesting conversations about art and films and stuff with random people there which you also can't get elsewhere in Lisbon.

martin

----
What I can’t figure out is, how comes when I was young and skint I was going out nearly every night, buying records, CDs, tapes and books weekly, smoking like a lab rat, going to football (including away games) and up to see mates in Sheffield and Edinburgh/Glasgow frequently…whereas now, having an OK job and being better off than I was then, that all seems impossible without a bank loan? Has everything got dearer, or have I just got tighter?

Probably a CD or book once a month and drinks a few times a month (on a 'feast or famine' basis these days). Though I need to get a new PC soon, which is a pisser - I'm currently putting it on 'sleep' mode whenever I'm not using it, 'cos I think shutting it down might wind up being the last time. Quite proud I got 11 years out of it, though, which means it only cost me about 8.4p a day.