Outside of bills, utilities etc, what do you spend your money on?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wow, I didn't realise you lot were in with the Illuminati!

Ironically, thirdform thinks I'm a landed aristocrat.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i already feel rage and anger building up in my body when someone casually mentions they just got back from new-york or sao-paulo, or hong-kong, or whatever far away place, as if it just takes a train to get there.

version

The older rich people I know are all exactly as you'd expect. They vote Tory, are either openly racist or it's thinly-veiled, snobbish about education, go on cruise holidays dressed like Hannibal Lecter. You know the drill.

Hannibal_Anthony-Hopkins_white-linen-suit_jacket.bmp1.jpg

Last edited:

Leo

There are tons of obnoxious rich assholes in the world, probably even true that most rich folk are asshole-ish. But I know some who are decent people, down to earth, don't flash their wealth, donate it (sometimes anonymously) to good causes, etc. Also, if you can afford to visit a foreign land, why not do it? If you've made the money, it doesn't do you any good sitting the bank. You've earned it in order to use it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yep broadly agree with that. The people I know and dislike who are rich have other things that make me dislike them, not just their richness... these things may be a function of their wealth but I think not an inevitable function.

version

It varies. There are plenty of awful people who aren't wealthy too. I think it's just that wealth insulates you from things the majority go through and you can become increasingly callous and lacking in awareness and empathy if you lose sight of that. My Gran married a millionaire in her 60s and within a few years was going on about how people are only poor because they're lazy when she wasn't exactly well off for the majority of her life and would never refer to herself as lazy.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
One time an ex of mine was being a nanny for a guy and his family over Xmas. He was a programmer and did security coding for microsoft. They stayed at a lavish hotel outside of Marrakesh and paid for me and my ex to stay in a really nice Riad. Was pretty sweet on the whole. One night we're at dinner and I order a draft beer. The waiter comes over and asks me how big I wanted the head. I was like, eh?

IdleRich

IdleRich
My Gran married a millionaire in her 60s and within a few years was going on about how people are only poor because they're lazy when she wasn't exactly well off for the majority of her life and would never refer to herself as lazy.
Ha ha that's a great story. Some people have no self-awareness whatsoever. Fuck's sake.

version

She was talking about Boris a while back, I mentioned that he was a liar and her response was "He may be a liar, but he's True British". I then told her about his Turkish ancestry and she said "Well, I don't know about all that" and changed the subject.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
She was talking about Boris a while back, I mentioned that he was a liar and her response was "He may be a liar, but he's True British". I then told her about his Turkish ancestry and she said "Well, I don't know about all that" and changed the subject.

Lolll

Even the first point is totally ridiculous.

"he may be a child rapist, but..."

Leo

think I told this story before about a friend in college had a Iranian girlfriend, from one of the rich families who fled when the shah was overthrown. the family was fairly high up in the safra group, international finance and banking. it was my friend's birthday, so she decided have a few people over to her parents house. we drive to this secluded part of Long Island called king's point, where you can't see hardly any houses but the ones you do manage to see are mansions, and so private that the streets don't even have names. the only time I've ever been in a house where they actually had servants.

also knew a guy whose job was to babysit Bob Guccione's dogs when he travelled. This was back in the days when Penthouse was still a huge magazine and there were Penthouse "gentleman's clubs" all over the world, Bob lived in a huge duplex apartment near Central Park. Since he didn't want to uproot the two dogs, he had my friend stay in his apartment while he was away. Always kick myself for never going to see the place.

version

and she voted Leave, right?

She says she voted Remain, but she might be lying. She's obsessed with appearances and lies about her age, so I wouldn't be surprised if she voted Leave and she's too embarrassed to admit it. Her husband voted Leave.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Lolll

Even the first point is totally ridiculous.

"he may be a child rapist, but..."

I know, right? And you know that the sort of person who's going to say that will doubtless consider themselves a real patriot, whereas it sounds almost like an admission that being chronically dishonest is an inherently British trait.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was going out with a girl who was at Oxford uni, her flat mate was in this kind of club called The Phoenix Society which was kinda like a wannabe Bullingdon Club. They got a new member and he was an arrogant twat according to him (which must have been really saying something). When it got to this guy's birthday he was like, I'm gonna treat you, he flew the whole society (maybe thirty people I dunno) to Dubai or something, put them all up in a five star hotel for three or four days, paid for everything the whole time and had someone like Beyonce or something perform for them (ok not Beyonce but you know what I mean). They all started liking him a lot more after that./0

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is anyone else watching The Trial of Christine Keeler that's on telly/BBC iPlayer at the moment? There's a bit where Profumo is having this very tense meeting with his personal lawyer along with a couple of his colleagues, where they're discussing how he's going to try and deal with the scandal by just denying everything and launching a libel suit against The Mirror. Now Profumo is lying, of course, but the others aren't just going "OK how can we try and convince the House that you're telling the truth?", because he's bullshitting them in absolute earnest, and it appears to really matter to the others whether he's telling the truth or not.

It made me think, wow, Tories were actually like that at one point. Or some of them were, at least.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think there's probably a self justifying belief that EVERYONE is on the take, everyone is lying and hypocritical (this is also true, which helps), bending the rules and so on is just the way things are done in "the real world" and you're either naive or lying if you say otherwise.