Outside of bills, utilities etc, what do you spend your money on?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think there's probably a self justifying belief that EVERYONE is on the take, everyone is lying and hypocritical (this is also true, which helps), bending the rules and so on is just the way things are done in "the real world" and you're either naive or lying if you say otherwise.

This makes me think of something I read a couple of months back - it may well have been posted here, can't remember who by - the gist of which was something like:

The triumph of postmodernism is now more or less complete. We live in a post-truth age in which nothing is true and everything is permitted, and it's taken as axiomatic that all politicians lie all the time. This works to the advantage of the Berlusconis, Trumps and Johnsons - for whom this is actually true - because they lie so glibly and easily, with a boyish grin and a wink in their eye, that there doesn't seem to be any serious intent to deceive. Their whole demeanour says "Yes I'm lying; you know that I'm lying; and I know that you know that I'm lying". So paradoxically they seem more honest than the more traditional sort of politician, who attempts to come across as earnest and honest, because they are assumed to be lying whether they are or not, and to be attempting to fool us for real.

So people who cannot possibly hope to benefit from continued Tory rule vote Tory with Boris Johnson leading the party in full knowledge of his dishonesty, not despite that but because of it, and because he "seems like a breath of fresh air", somehow.

Last edited:

version

Dimbleby interviewed a Welsh hairdresser a while back and she said as much. She said she liked him because he's a liar which means he's human and you can take him at his word.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dimbleby interviewed a Welsh hairdresser a while back and she said as much. She said she liked him because he's a liar which means he's human and you can take him at his word.

Yeah, I was thinking about that young woman earlier.

Stuff like that really does strain the limits of "Don't call working-class Tory/Leave voters stupid, they just have a different outlook from you, it's that superior attitude that caused Brexit in the first place, blah blah blah".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dimbleby interviewed a Welsh hairdresser a while back and she said as much. She said she liked him because he's a liar which means he's human and you can take him at his word.0
I think we have to try and tease out the - often subtle - difference between attitudes that are truly prevalent in our debased times, and people who are just properly fucking dumb and who would have been dumb whenever they lived and who don't really tell us anything about anything.
I'm hoping that she is part of the latter group...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
AFAIR, the other things she said about him were that he "has balls of steel" - which I guess is a way of saying he's privileged enough never to have had to face up to the consequences of his behaviour (rich enough to be repeatedly divorced and have kids all over the place without facing financial ruin; well-connected enough to waltz straight into another lucrative job after being sacked for lying; etc.) - and that he "wants what's best for the country".

Well, let's just say I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised on that front.

luka

I'm like yyyaldrin, an instinctive jacobin. Luckily I don't have any rich mates all my mates are the most abject failures imaginable and they don't care either.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apart from Barty, I forgot about Barty. He's rich and successful but very modest so you barely notice. He's got the common touch.

Shame you're not rich and famous, because this'd make quite a good submission to Private Eye for their 'Order of the Brown Nose' section.