the little silver box

version

Has anyone on here actually worked with the real thing? I got to have a go with one at an exhibition type thing a couple of years ago and the sequencing interface is so baffling that I couldn't get a noise out of it until a kindly old synth geezer came over and bashed in a couple of patterns for me...

What was it like once he got it running for you?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
one of the oldest and still one of the best

marshall jefferson explained that they were trying to capture the sound of a nervous breakdown with this track. one time ron hardy played it at the music box and one young lady fainted and had to be taken outside to cool down. one of the clubbers came out to check she was ok and said 'looks like she's lost control'

blissblogger

apparently they done the bassline using a 303 - one of the first in the country

and as i recall they got the idea off this next lot ...

blissblogger

yes apparently that's one of the very very very first uses of the 303 in pop - and used more or less as the manufacturers intended

you can really here its 303-ness during the coda at about 2.35

i know this is not the kind of head shredding stuff Third is looking for...

the word 'lubricious' was invented for Imagination / Leee Johns

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Has anyone on here actually worked with the real thing? I got to have a go with one at an exhibition type thing a couple of years ago and the sequencing interface is so baffling that I couldn't get a noise out of it until a kindly old synth geezer came over and bashed in a couple of patterns for me...

Yes, and it is a notorious cunt of a sequencer. A lot of people just mash the buttons and see what happens. Pretty sure 100s of classics were made like that. I knew a banker in south london who had a secret lair underneath a rug in his kitchen. one wall was every crucial acid 12 ever (all VG+) and then he had a setup along the other wall with pretty much all the top roland boxes inc. 2 303s. One with the Devilfish mod. God knows how much it was all worth, we did drugs and made 2 tracks. one of which was alright! thing was, he barely used any of it. was more of a museum than anything.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What was it like once he got it running for you?

Slightly weak answer, but pretty much exactly what you'd expect? You've got, what, four meaningful knobs and the waveform switch, and you tweak them and acid happens. I'm not really into the cork-sniffing accept-no-substitute synth nerd thing so I can't say that the original has some special magic that no recreation has ever truly captured but it did sound basically amazing with very minimal effort.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
there's definitely some magic in that box. the envelopes. they're so bouncy and chewy. they hit you with this physicality which can take control of you on a proper sound system. it can go from mind melting, to sexy, to cheeky rascal, all with those 4 very limited knobs.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think on some level I see 303 acid lines as being a comparable thing to loud fuzzy guitar riffs. Like, they rapidly reached a basically steady state from an evolutionary point of view, but they're still effective on such a basic level that we're probably going to keep doing them for as long as there's electricity.