Move My Body vs Chime

Move My Body vs Chime

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The 2 bad mice one’s brilliant. Infinitely better than the orbital one.

The forum would definitely pick tough breakbeat hardcore over something like chimes. That altern8 one was just a bit dull.

it's not dull. exercise in brain frying hoover riff with minimal restraint.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Chime is so dull. a deutschland uber als ist orchestral riff (not a belgian stab) with a bubbling 303 as if it's a classical instrument, an electronic innovation of the bass guitar from 300 years in the future. nice drum machine beats but why would i want a 303 to sound like a bass instrument and not pure mercury being beamed down into my head?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is actually miles better than chime. at least it isn't going for that faux-intelligent angle. and the 303 pulsates a bit more.

unlike simon i defend intelligent dance music, but when it is properly hard core intelligent and originates from a genetics research laboratory.

luka

Sometimes it's possible to feel sorry for Simon, constantly under attack for his every opinion. But then again he lives in a huge 100 acre mansion in the Hollywood Hills paid for solely by his music opinions and I guess there has to be some blowback.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I like Altern-8 but their tunes are pretty clumsy - their japery (standing for Parliament, using the 4 year old daughter of their label boss to recite E-monster slang, etc etc) at the time puts them a notch ahead of Messiah and Utah Saints, who are even more clumsy.

"Chime" though - sublime. The cascading main riff. The gibbering 303s. The use of the Onedin Theme as stirring orchestral stab. Tingletastic.

The British "Strings of Life", as someone said.

They have a bunch of great tunes, Orbital - "Halycon (and on)", "Belfast" - and they are the rare thing, a techno act that is great live and is also genuinely live.

Halycon is a masterpiece

version

I quite like Belfast, but it's very cheesy and the Human Traffic association tarnishes it somewhat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
probably need to stick 10 pills up my bum and then I'll get it. it's nice enough i suppose. there might be an alternative deep mix which might be more up my street.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
squarepusher is the happy hardcore of electronic muso boffins. basically if you read him in exactly the opposite way to the IDM boys he becomes great fun. much better than all that nu jazz shit.

it's kind of sickly and toilet humour jazz funk but that's what is charming about it.

Orbital is an altogether more insidious proposition. progressive house NME clientele. them lot actually believed in the utopian techno futurist gimmics of rave! no wonder Eat Static and Banco De Gaia and a lot of other shit never worth thinking about got into their top albums of 93-94-95.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bliss probably. maybe danny l. maybe baboon. possibly craner.

Chime is awful, and I consider that slander.

The only rave tune I can think of that I've always disliked. Orbital are responsible for some beautiful moments, but that's not one of them.

On the subject of rave films, did anyone see Beats? Loved it.

droid

Chime was recorded in 1989. 1989! In 1989 breakbeat hardcore wasnt even conceivable, and when it did get rolling in 1990 it was with slow, ramshackle tunes like '£20 to get in'.

Between 89 and 91 nearly a decade of normal music time passed. The correct comparison here is probably something like pacific state.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Chime was recorded in 1989. 1989! In 1989 breakbeat hardcore wasnt even conceivable, and when it did get rolling in 1990 it was with slow, ramshackle tunes like '£20 to get in'.

Between 89 and 91 nearly a decade of normal music time passed. The correct comparison here is probably something like pacific state.

there were better tunes than Chime in 89.

this is the proto proto analog of jungle and breakbeat hardcore in 89 imo. hits way harder than chime ever could.